Help advice needed for body filler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chimneyman

Reaction score
I wouldn't go nuts trying to get down to bare metal. As long as you've sanded any old oxidized paint off you should be ok. Again, no rust is key. If there is rust then sand blasting that spot would be best, but if how you do it doesn't get it all, epoxy primer would help improve the chances of it not causing problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I may have a very small spot of rust here or there. The truck has been in the south primarily thus far.

SC_Chevy

Reaction score
I have small dings on it everywhere. Without looking at it right now i would say both.

Okay I was going to say I wouldn't recommend filling huge dents with bondo it will eventually crack if it's too thick, a lot of the guys are around here 100 grit their little dents, but if your gonna get them all the way out I would say try to work it from the back side before you wipe it. It's always better to get the dent as small as you can before wiping it. You could always 80 grit the dent and whip it then feather edge it for the best look, 80 grit, 180, 320, and then prep the panel with primer and so on! Hope all works out[emoji1360]

chimneyman

Reaction score
Okay I was going to say I wouldn't recommend filling huge dents with bondo it will eventually crack if it's too thick, a lot of the guys are around here 100 grit their little dents, but if your gonna get them all the way out I would say try to work it from the back side before you wipe it. It's always better to get the dent as small as you can before wiping it. You could always 80 grit the dent and whip it then feather edge it for the best look, 80 grit, 180, 320, and then prep the panel with primer and so on! Hope all works out[emoji1360]

Thank You!

SC_Chevy

Reaction score
Also if painting a light metallic color final sanding of primer should be 400 or 600 especially silver.

Also panels that just need to be Repainted should be hit with 800 with a grey scotchbrite[emoji1360]

jvthundercat

Reaction score
Buy a cheap PDR kit about 100 bucks and it will take out most of those dings in 5 minutes. If you over pull, that is where the talent gets done, but worse case, the ding is a lot smaller then fill it.