HELP! 92 gmc 5.7 has no spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wcr65d

Reaction score
Driving home, pulling small camper on interstate, had to slow down inconstruction zone. Started to speed back up and it died. Turned over fine. Had it towed to the house(I was 10 miles from home). There is no spark at all. Replaced distributor and coil. Still no spark. Fuses that I checked were good. Any ideas? I'm not sure what to check next.

1992 GMC ECSB 2wd

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fuses may be good, but you need to verify 12V to the coil and to the distributor, as well as ground. Double check the pins on your connectors to make sure that they are clean, straight, and making good contact. Also, make sure that your rotor is turning. Your timing chain could have failed and you may not have spark simply because the distributor shaft isn't being rotated.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Duh! I had totally forgotten about the ICM. Keep forgetting that it's not in the distributor.

Is that sarcasm? It is possible to replace the distributor and re-use the old ICM...and when they get hot and quit, they are done.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that sarcasm? It is possible to replace the distributor and re-use the old ICM...and when they get hot and quit, they are done.

Double DOH! No, no sarcasm intended at all. I was thinking, correctly, about the way the TBI distributors are built when I originally posted and assumed that the ICM had been replaced with the distributor. When you posted, I confused myself and started thinking that the TBI engines were built like the Vortec engines with the external ICM, and subsequently posted my "Duh" comment. No disrespect at all man, just an unfortunate series of brain farts...

wcr65d

Reaction score
Rotor turns. Connections are good. I will check to make sure there are 12 volts getting to it.

shorthorn79

Reaction score
Did you figure out what it was, cuz i had the same problem and just replaced distributor, router, coil, plugs, and wire. Ran like usually champ afterwards.

wcr65d

Reaction score
I'm gonna replace plug wires. All else is new or checks out.