Hello to everyone from Colorado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Hello.
I figured it might be time to introduce myself. I’m sorry if this gets a little long winded.
My name is Lonnie and I live in Greeley, Colorado.
I am 50 years old and I’ve been an auto mechanic for 35+ years. I have also been deeply entrenched in the hot rod scene since before I could remember (40+ years). This gives me some definite opinions on what a car/truck should look and sound like.
I have owned some very nice cars/trucks in my life but my present ’96 GMC K1500 Z71 ECSB is the newest daily driver I have ever owned. My other vehicles have always been from the ‘60’s or early ‘70’s.
I have always been partial to GTO’s and I am restoring a ’69 GTO at the moment. It’s a running/rolling shell that’s almost ready for paint. It should be painted and put back together by late this summer.

Anyway, I’m trying to keep my ’96 GMC as close to stock as possible with just a few custom touches here and there. I’ve already added a dual flowmaster exhaust, a suburban overhead console w/homelink and a trans temp gauge, an auto dimming/compass/temp rear view mirror, clear headlights and turn signals, LED tail and third brake lights, upgraded alternator, B&M electronic shift improver, and an upgraded tow package (class IV hitch vs. stock class III).
It also has a fairly stout audio system and keyless entry.

I’ve owned it for about 6 years and I have always thought that GMT400’s are the best looking body style GM has ever produced.
Sorry, this is the only pic I have at the moment:
You must be registered for see images attach

Someday I would love to find a 2wd version of my truck so I could go all out with it (dropped, smooth-painted bumper, roll pan, etc.)
I found GMT400.com from doing a Google search and I have been hooked ever since.
I've been getting a lot of valuable info from this site so kudos to all of you.
See 'ya!

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Welcome! Very clean truck.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. I love the way it looks.
I took the pic this last summer so the wild country tires were changed to a set of blackwall Artic Claw snows and I have a billet grill I need to install.
That's all the further I want to go with it. It still sports the original paint and I am trying to keep it good shape but it's starting to become a losing battle.
The clear coat is pretty bad on the roof and it's starting to cloud up on the hood and front fenders. Buffing out the hood and fenders brings it back for a while but the roof is gone.
I will get the whole truck painted eventually. It's a good thing that my little brother is a body man. He's done some show winning paint jobs in his time so I get him to paint it as soon as I gather up the materials.

Laters.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Here is a little more info on me:
I'm married to a beautiful Hawaiian goddess for the last 25+ years with no kids. I do have a 31 year old daughter from a very early short lived marriage.
I also ride. I don't ride a Harley (bad reliability) but I do love the sound of them. I have a 2003 Kawasaki 1500 Nomad that I love to ride.

Here is a video after I piped it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZKLN1Rd528
It's got 33,000 miles on it and has never given me any problems.
Here is a pic of my GTO before stripping it for paint:

Now but the hood and all is installed. We just need to smooth it all:

What I'm shooting for. I don't know who this belongs to but I found the pic two years after we stripped mine down. It's exactly what I had envisioned:

I found another pic of my truck:

OK, I'll stop now. Have fun everyone and Happy New Year!