Hello From Louisiana

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlton

Reaction score
Glad to find this site that is for 88-98 GM trucks. I picked up a 1997 Ext cab Silverado Z71. So far, I have put in a " supposed to be rebuilt transmission " that I got with the deal. Well it's slipping already so the one I pulled out of truck is currently getting rebuilt and I'm having a transgo shift kit put in while it's getting rebuilt. I've replaced all the steering components on front end except ball joints. I have them already and that is a upcoming project. New Rancho shocks all the way around. New fuel pump and distributor. New plugs and wires. New windshield. The list is getting long but this will be a nice truck when I'm done. It's a high options truck and I have the original window sticker that shows it was $28,998.05 new. It has a older pioneer radio in it. I have ordered a Kenwood reciever and front and back speakers for it.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to have another Louisianian! I would get a Sonnax Smartshell or "Beast" sunshell at minimum during the rebuild. Also, you may want to have the reverse/input checked for wear, as they can get saddle backed where the band rides on it. May want to replace it as well, just because. Most builders are very familiar with the 4L60E and will do all this anyway.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Charlton

Reaction score
Glad to have another Louisianian! I would get a Sonnax Smartshell or "Beast" sunshell at minimum during the rebuild. Also, you may want to have the reverse/input checked for wear, as they can get saddle backed where the band rides on it. May want to replace it as well, just because. Most builders are very familiar with the 4L60E and will do all this anyway.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the welcome! Yes I bought a new beast sun shield for the rebuild plus a new 28 element forward sprag and a deep pan. He said everything else looked good. Also, I bought a B&M Super cooler that I am gonna install with the rebuilt transmission. My mechanic is a gear head that builds race car transmissions, motors, etc. he said it should last me forever. He knows I maintain my vehicles properly and I don't go mud hoggin and stuff. I do have a messed up hunting lease road though.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, from Lafayette