Heads and cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ajfazio

Reaction score
Hello I have a junkyard 350 tbi block I bought for nothing and threw it in my 66 nova it’s all stock except for carb swap was wondering what you guys suggest for heads and cam for these motors preferably bang for your buck but I wanna see what’s out there for a little more street performance.

Ajfazio

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Do not belive so

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that's a big NO. When you did the "Carb Swap" did you use an intake made for the TBI heads or did you modify it?

Ajfazio

Reaction score
I used intake made for those two center bolts I understand I’ll need a new intake when I throw new heads on it only reason it was carb swapped was because it went into a 66 didn’t want to deal with computer stuff

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the head numbers? You may have a decent set of heads that would benefit with a little bowl and chamber work. Don't think that just because they're stock iron heads that they're crap. I have built some monsters with factory iron heads.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used intake made for those two center bolts I understand I’ll need a new intake when I throw new heads on it
You can go with pre-86 heads and wallow out the center ones. Guys on here have done that except the other way. Or get after market TBI drilled heads, they're getting scarce but obtainable.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are alot more options going with pre 86 aftermarket heads. it's not real clear what direction you're headed and it's not hard to tie up almost as much redoing iron heads as new aftermarket 180,,190, 195 cc. if you need valve, guides, machine work. Just imho, if staying flat tappet as retrofit is anything but budget, I stay away from Extreme, Voodoo, etc. fast rate cams, go for long lived instead of the 5 hp. A head manufacturer might say their springs are good for .550 but that doesn't mean they are right the spring pressure for the cam you pick. clearance and pressure are 2 different things/measurements. Old school, hard to beat a Comp 270 with Rhoads Lifters, 64 cc heads, 9+ C.R etc, does well with a stock converter but a 2.5k converter really helps it shine.. Spins 6k +, excellent, non finnicky drivability, and hard to destroy a 2 bolt block with it. Built it with and without 1.6 rockers @.501 lift but keeps it sub 218 @.050 duration several times. Pick a cam based on sound and you've almost 100% picked less performance. No, the 270 doesn't sound rat nasty, but it rev's super quick and you know something non stock is there....like a sleeper. Nothing exotic but runs surprisingly hard for what it is.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just imho, if staying flat tappet as retrofit is anything but budget, I stay away from Extreme, Voodoo, etc. fast rate cams, go for long lived instead of the 5 hp.
Call your favorite cam company. I know Lunati sometimes moves their stuff between categories.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are alot more options going with pre 86 aftermarket heads. it's not real clear what direction you're headed and it's not hard to tie up almost as much redoing iron heads as new aftermarket 180,,190, 195 cc. if you need valve, guides, machine work. Just imho, if staying flat tappet as retrofit is anything but budget, I stay away from Extreme, Voodoo, etc. fast rate cams, go for long lived instead of the 5 hp. A head manufacturer might say their springs are good for .550 but that doesn't mean they are right the spring pressure for the cam you pick. clearance and pressure are 2 different things/measurements. Old school, hard to beat a Comp 270 with Roads Lifters, 64 cc heads, 9+ C.R etc, does well with a stock converter but a 2.5k converter really helps it shine.. Spins 6k +, excellent, non finnicky drivability, and hard to destroy a 2 bolt block with it. Built it with and without 1.6 rockers @.501 lift but keeps it sub 218 @.050 duration several times. Pick a cam based on sound and you've almost 100% picked less performance.

There are alot more options going with pre 86 aftermarket heads.
If you can find a set that aren't cracked.
it's not real clear what direction you're headed and it's not hard to tie up almost as much redoing iron heads as new aftermarket 180,,190, 195 cc.
Not if you do the work yourself. Cheap chinese heads are just that.
if you need valve, guides, machine work. Just imho, if staying flat tappet as retrofit is anything but budget, I stay away from Extreme, Voodoo, etc. fast rate cams, go for long lived instead of the 5 hp.
Here's where we differ. I like the asymmetric cam lobes with rapid ramp rates. Gets those valves opened faster and allows for more time to breath. Run the right oil and they hold up fine.
A head manufacturer might say their springs are good for .550 but that doesn't mean they are right the spring pressure for the cam you pick.
Yup, If the cam grinder says run this spring then run that spring.
clearance and pressure are 2 different things/measurements. Old school, hard to beat a Comp 270 with Rhoads Lifters, 64 cc heads, 9+ C.R etc, does well with a stock converter but a 2.5k converter really helps it shine..
If this is something your going to running on pump gas 9.5:1 is about as high as you want to go.
Tailor your stall to the application. If your building a race car then you want a higher stall to get off the line. For a street car you will want to lower the stall so your not running around with the converter slipping most of the time. On street cars with moderate gearing 1800-2200 is a better choice.
Spins 6k +, excellent, non finnicky drivability, and hard to destroy a 2 bolt block with it. Built it with and without 1.6
Run the 1.6's. You will get more lift without such an aggressive cam lobe.makes life easier on the lifters.
rockers @.501 lift but keeps it sub 218 @.050 duration several times. Pick a cam based on sound and you've almost 100% picked less performance. No, the 270 doesn't sound rat nasty, but it rev's super quick and you know something non stock is there....like a sleeper. Nothing exotic but runs surprisingly hard for what it is.
Something you have not mentioned is whether you're going to freshen up the bottom end. If you put all these go fast goodies on top of a tired bottom end it won't be long for this world. Remember, it came from a junk yard.