Headlights won't turn off...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey all,

First post here, but likely not the last.

I own a 1999 K1500 Suburban, that I bought from the original owner. He drove it off the lot with 22 miles. It just rolled over 175,000 miles, but still in fantastic condition.

I've had it for a few months, and have upgraded a few things. One issue I am dealing with, right now, is that my headlights are always on, no matter what position the light switch is in, even in the OFF position.

Is this normal, or is there an issue in the wiring, or the switch panel itself? Thanks.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Try putting the parking brake on. If the lights go out it is just your daytime running lights.

Reaction score
The parking brake trick works, but that light on the dash is annoying. There has to be a way to turn them off. Some sort of aftermarket switch, maybe...

Yeah. Even the OFF switch doesn't work...

Reaction score
If you don't want to have day time running lights, you can pull fuse 15 i believe in the fusebox in the cab. Without it, the headlights only turn on when you have the switched flipped to the vertical position.

Thanks. I'll try that. I normally drive with my headlights on all the time anyways (military thing...) but I would at least like to have the option to turn them off.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulling the fuse will turn off the lights but the green light on the dash stays on still. You need to pull the bulb in the cluster to get rid of that.

Reaction score
I'd be more okay with no DRL and a green light on the dash than the PARKING BRAKE light lit up, for being pushed in a few clicks. Long as the headlights go out. I'd just like to be able to turn off the head lights without having to install some sort of kill switch for em.