Headlights not working, Parking lights and highbeams okay??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1994GMCSierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, well happened at the best time 4am on the way to work both my headlights just went out. I know the bulbs are good and i tested them with replacements still nothing. Have high beams, parking lights, turn signals, and stop lamps. tried to diagnose the switch to see if its bad but no luck on that (not to good with electrical and stuff). I was wondering if anyone on here had a similar problem. I have a 1994 so the switch is the same form 88-94. I might just order a new headlight switch from Rockauto and see if that's the issue. Again any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If your high beams work then the problem is not the headlight switch. Problem is most likely the dimmer, which on 88-94 is in the middle area of the column. If you take it out to futz with it you might consider taping its metal actuator rod to the column so it can't slip down; the rod is actuated by a tab up inside the column and it can drop out - sometimes a real bear to get it back into place without column disassembly.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

1994GMCSierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
well that sucks. ordered the switch anyways. any idea what is required to get to it? really dont wanna drop the column.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Column removal is not necessary. Take your under column panel off, move the dimmer lever and watch what moves. You will see the dimmer switch. Its not hard to get off.

1994GMCSierra

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok guys fixed!! Took the column down 2 inches or so by removing the bolts. very easy to get to. Took the switch off tested it and it worked fine on an ohms meter...............:dancingpoop:so i then thought maybe it was in fact the headlight switch itself. already had one ready to go so i changed it out. nothing......my old man and i popped the hood and began just tracing wires from the headlights. turns out that when it was hit previously when the bodyshop replaced the fender they used wire splice connectors to connect two wires instead of crimped butt connectors. dumb people. a simple cut and using the right connectors fixed it just like that. Anyways, thanks a lot for all of your input. Hope this truck goes another 160k!! NO RUST!!!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hahaha wtf...OK, well then there's your problem. :gr_grin: Always suspect previous work.

Richard