Header wrap & spark plug boots...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K1500 gramnolds

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanting to put some headers on soon, and wondering about your opinions on these two things. I`ve seen people wrap their headers completely, and seen no wrap too. Also if I don`t wrap them, should I run the little spark plug protector boots? Some people say these are a gimmick and some run them. Not sure if I`ll be running LT or shorties I guess cost will be the big player on that one :smile:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
i dont run either, just use plug wires with 90* boots, i think wrap is a joke, and the protector's look like shat.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
i'm with josh... headers put off more heat than manifolds... but good quality plug wires are all you need. I have a cowl hood and no inner fenders so under-hood heat isn't an issue for me. Wrap gets dirty and looks bad since you can't clean it.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Ive got lt's and no wrap or boots. Good quailty wires should be insulated enough.

Adam

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I think header wrap is good for race cars that don't see moisture. On a driver, I just don't see how moisture doesn't get trapped under the wrap and is not going to be good for the headers. I have run headers many times without wraps or special plug wire protection and been fine. Just don't have the plug wire on the header.

My personal preference is to use ceramic coated headers. They look better and the coating helps hold in the heat. They are a bit pricier, but you get what you pay for. I'm planning on a set of ceramic coated headers on my truck when I do a cam swap this winter.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Ive always ran Taylor wires with headers, seem to withstand the heat, my pops ran a set of Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm's for 10 years on his 427BBC with Hooker Super Comp headers, no issues at all, and that ***** got hot!!

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
90 degree boots, and run them under the headers instead of above and between them. That should help your problem.