Header bolt tightening - wrench suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently installed headers on my truck and everything went pretty well. The only thing is that the back bolt on the passenger side is not all the way tight so i have a very faint exhaust leak. I used ARP hardware so i wouldnt have to worry about breaking a bolt. I am unable to fit the closed end of the wrench on the bolt head since it hits the tubing of the header. When I try to use the open end, the wrench slides off of the bolt.

I was able to use the closed end on all of the other bolts and they are all really tight.

Does anyone who has done headers have any suggestions? I am thinking about purchasing this 3/8" flare wrench but I worry that the opening will not be big enough.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00942091000P?prdNo=12&blockNo=12&blockType=G12

I have also thought about cutting 1/2 of the open end off of an extra 3/8" wrench I have to see if that will give me enough grip.

Thanks,

Jeff

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have also thought about cutting 1/2 of the open end off of an extra 3/8" wrench I have to see if that will give me enough grip.

Thanks,

Jeff

I've done this ^^^ & it works O.K., just doesn't give you a lot of torque to get that bolt real tight. Try cutting off a third first, then grinding the wrench down a small amount at a time until you get the clearance you need. Try to keep the wrench as long as possible.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know the problems your dealing with, in the process of a motor swap I think I have struggled with that bolt alot. my header bolts use a 7/16 wrench. during the removal of both motors I used a little tiny wrench that was maybe 3 inches long... when I put it all back together I got header bolts that have a spot for an allen wrench in the middel and the kit came with a ball end socket. It worked great for that back bolt.... that probably doesnt help you now but in the past I have taken a 7/16 wrench and bent the open ended side of it so it doesnt hit the firewall.
good luck

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^ ditto to what sewlow said i've also ground down a socket to fit gives a little more torque on snugging it down

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have enough room to get the wrench down there and turn it. The problem is the open ended side is the only one that will fit, and it slides off the bolt when I really yank on it. I think I am going to try that wrench from sears to see how that works.

Of course the only bolt out of the 12 that you can't get a ratchet or closed end wrench on is the back one....