Head gasket Blew...What to do Now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in 20 years of working on SBC's I have never seen one blow a head gasket. not even overheated. I'm tossing my vote for intake gasket as well.

My 94 blew a head gasket on cylinder 7. Started burning coolant and then failed between coolant port and oil return and dumped coolant into oil

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in 20 years of working on SBC's I have never seen one blow a head gasket. not even overheated. I'm tossing my vote for intake gasket as well.

My '79 C10 was blown around the fire ring on cylinder 5. Piston crown was immaculate, as well as the chamber. Never knew it was blown, and pulled the heads due to bent valves (was 16 and didn't know what I was doing while adjusting them). I've seen more cracked heads than blown gaskets, though. In this case, intake gaskets are likely given the compression test results.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Just got time to take her into the garage, so first thing i did was a compression test. All cylinders were right around 156 psi so i guess it's not my head gasket, but most likely my intake gasket. Does this sound right?

Sounds likely.

Get a gasket hit and pull 'er off.

They're only around 30-40 bucks.

Blue 04 Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did new head and intake gaskets on my dads 96 Tahoe we pick up for a grand in October, Motor only had 94,*** on it. Gaskets are cheap and it was pretty damn easy.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine did the same, Cylinder #5 though (it was the 4.3L). All of a sudden going down the road the truck lost 80% of it's power and white smoke was pouring out the rear. Figured out what it was pretty quick, drove it the last mile home. That last mile killed it, really. I replaced the gaskets, but in order for me to show any oil pressure at idle, I had to have 2 quarts of 10W-30 and 3 quarts of Lucas Oil Stabilizer in it. Drove it that way for another 8 months then sold it. Engine only had 130K on it.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score

In my 19 years of growing up in a junkyard, I've seen about 30% of the SBCs that come through here having a blown head gasket, and we get about 80 a year. Do the math.

This was exactly what happened. It was a cheap fix just a little time consuming considering it was my first time tearing down into the motor

You get her fixed up man?

~Via Mobile \,,/