Harmonic balancer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just ordered a harmonic balancer today for my 98 5.7L and it'll be here tomorrow. In the mean time I'm looking for info on how to swap them out.

I'm guessing that the easiest way to go about this is to take off the fan cowl and then take the fan off to get at it from the top. From that point I'm not sure as to how the crank shaft pulley comes off or if I gotta take that off to get to it. Nor do I know how the harmonic balancer comes off the crank shaft.

I've had guys say it simple but not exactly sure how to go about it.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
I would do exacly what you said, take your fan off and such. From the top will be the easiest in my opinion. Dont forget you'll need a puller!

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
you press it on with the stock bolt, once you get it set on, you use the stock bolt to press it on, like when it tightens, the balance presses on

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your saying that the balance presses on when the bolt tightens? Lol

Please don't that. You can possibly rent an installer at the parts store instead of buying one. The threads are not strong enough to use the bolt to press the balancer back on. You strip those threads an your in for a lot of grief....