Hard Start in 96 454. Please Help, this is a doozy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I met with the mechanic yesterday and he retraced every step and found 2 bad plug wires and put some spares in and that *helped* but the big thing he found was one of my new injectors was bad! It was failing ohm tests I guess.

Long story short I sent the folks I bought the injectors from an email stating my frustration and they put 2 injectors in the mail for me yesterday and are refunding me for the trouble I have had. I'm very pleased with them and I hope that a replacement injector will finally put these problems to rest! Should get the injectors early next week

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if you mentioned what grade fuel you run or not, or if it even matters, but could a low octane fuel cause an issue like this?

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New injector is in and it runs great. Still has a little hard start issue but at this point I'm just glad it runs. If I ever look into it any further than I have and find a solution I will be sure to post it.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
What injectors did you buy from whom? Were they new or refurb? I ask this because I have a 454 that will need injectors.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They are LS1 24lb injectors that are new from High Flow Fuels. They are an eBay seller

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The hard start issue has become worse since my last update and blows black smoke when it starts. I am so sick of these injectors! I ordered a set of blue Knights from fiveomotorsports. They cost a pretty penny but have a good warranty and likely are not crap like the ones I have now. I went with 19lb injectors and will run them with my 4 bar fpr for a 5.7 based on the suggestion from Kirk at fiveomotorsports.

They should get here tomorrow and I will put them in tomorrow night or Saturday.

I'm not sure if I will need a retune from black bear or not, I sent them an email and I'm just waiting to hear back.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hard start issue is completely gone and the truck runs awesome. That's what I get for buying eBay injectors so please make sure you are willing to take the risk if you want to go that route.

Blue Knights from fiveo rock! I sent my pcm back to black bear for a retune today. Hopefully then I can finally enjoy this truck working properly for the first time since I have owned it.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah man, I just got to the point where it felt like everything else had been checked and rechecked and it was worth the risk of me buying more expensive injectors from a reputable company to see if it would fix the problem.

My 2 different sets prior were supposedly flow matched and perfect but they still ended up being the problem in less than a thousand miles

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the new tune back and the truck runs great! More importantly as far as annoyances go, it starts within a second no matter what. To think that all the times I thought I had ruled out the injectors at least one of them was the cause every time. I think by the end I had pulled the intake plenum off 8 times. I got good enough that I swapped the new good injectors in this last time and had it back together in about an hour