haha made my truck diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also just wanted to say be sure to keep us updated with information and pics as much as possible broham. You're so lucky to have a knowledgable father there with you, that's badass. My dad is a musician haha he taught me how to change oil and that's about the extent of it. The problem I encounter on things like this is having no knowledge and having to rely on someone else, a shop, to do the work. Lately I can't even trust anyone to do little things like exhaust or my realift setup so how the hell could I find someone good to make my truck a diesel or GEN 3...Oh well. It's not the worst of problems I guess, but it just sucks. Finding a great motor/trans and all hardware is nothing in comparison to finding a RELIABLE human being that does QUALITY work. That is all.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 5.9 12 valve would be the easiest from a wiring standpoint. Your poor 4L60 would HATE you though, so a 4L80e beefed up would be the way to go. A duramax is very expensive, has more wiring than a hewlett/packard assembly plant and is not as reliable as a cummins.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 5.9 12 valve would be the easiest from a wiring standpoint. Your poor 4L60 would HATE you though, so a 4L80e beefed up would be the way to go. A duramax is very expensive, has more wiring than a hewlett/packard assembly plant and is not as reliable as a cummins.

Thank you for the info. I am wondering how a cummins/tranny swap would weigh vs. a GEN3 swap. I have to think it would be much cheaper for me to do a 5.3 swap since I don't have to buy a whole transmission and then beef it up along with all the information out there for doing the LS swap would help but I see there is a whole forum (4bdt) dedicated to swapping diesels in, so I dunno! It def is interesting, especially when guys put them in 400's :rocking:

texasrebel88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i was looing at a 4L80e to throw under my rig.. but as wiring it deff is the easiest, but its going to be the biggest pain in the ass when it come down to it
Thank you for the info. I am wondering how a cummins/tranny swap would weigh vs. a GEN3 swap. I have to think it would be much cheaper for me to do a 5.3 swap since I don't have to buy a whole transmission and then beef it up along with all the information out there for doing the LS swap would help but I see there is a whole forum (4bdt) dedicated to swapping diesels in, so I dunno! It def is interesting, especially when guys put them in 400's :rocking:

i will forsure let you know how everything goes, im most likely going to have a build thread for this swap.. both on fsc and on here.. im looking as of right now to have everything done by the 25th of this month... because the 27th i start school at texas state..

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will be paying close attention to this one and what exactly is it you'll be swapping in?

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^ allisons are ok, dont think they would hold up very well to the way most people drive cummins, i personally think you need to drop it in with a nv4500 or nv5600, that would be awesome

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
damn it txreb I can't quit thinking about having a cummins in the truck rolling up through these TN hills :drool:

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So for this 12V you'd have to re-do crossmembers? Then the obvious fuel lines and tank...I would stay away from the 170k mile motor/trans..You're going to go through hell putting a diesel/trans into your truck at least buy something that isn't likely to crap out from a mileage stand point. I know 170 isn't much on a diesel buuut the trans is anyone's guess and you just want something with less miles.

How common are these cummins motors/trannys? How much is a cummins 12v typically?

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lol, get the motr, 170k isnt much, just get a different tranny ( if your anything like me, youll need one anyways, dodge stock trannys are junk)
these motors a expensive, atleast around here they usually go for around 2-5k, it will take mods to crossmembers for it, but it would be worth it in the end