Growling 1st and reverse. How long do I have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SubWarrior

Reaction score
My k1500 sub has got a 4l60e jasper rebuilt trans w/ ~100k that just today started making a growling noise in first and reverse. 2nd, 3rd and 4th seem to be fine. Based on the common problems thread, I suspect that the planetary gear is the culprit.

I'm currently in Spokane and have 1400 mile trip to get back to Colorado where I can fix it in my own shop. I Have to drive through idaho Montana and Wyoming (all interstate) but with a small uhaul (2-3k) towing behind.

What sort of damage would be happening if I limped it home?
Is it likely the trans will go boom on the trip back?
If it must get fixed ASAP, what is the best repair that can be done for the short term or for a low cost? (would have to pay a shop to fix it)

Im trying to be as efficient as possible with my funds, knowing that once its home, I can do a lot of the work myself. However, I also would really like to make it home without the trans exploding in a snow storm on a mountain pass in the middle of Montana.

Any advice?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Noisy 4L60E with 100K on it and you have a 1400 mile trip - expecting it to pull a Suburban AND a trailer, with mountains too?

Might as well buy a fistful of lottery tickets too. Your luck is bound to go one way or the other...

Richard

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
My k1500 sub has got a 4l60e jasper rebuilt trans w/ ~100k that just today started making a growling noise in first and reverse. 2nd, 3rd and 4th seem to be fine. Based on the common problems thread, I suspect that the planetary gear is the culprit.

I'm currently in Spokane and have 1400 mile trip to get back to Colorado where I can fix it in my own shop. I Have to drive through idaho Montana and Wyoming (all interstate) but with a small uhaul (2-3k) towing behind.

What sort of damage would be happening if I limped it home?
Is it likely the trans will go boom on the trip back?
If it must get fixed ASAP, what is the best repair that can be done for the short term or for a low cost? (would have to pay a shop to fix it)

Im trying to be as efficient as possible with my funds, knowing that once its home, I can do a lot of the work myself. However, I also would really like to make it home without the trans exploding in a snow storm on a mountain pass in the middle of Montana.

Any advice?
Your gona end up costing yourself more money with a tow bill if you try and drive it imo.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure there are plenty of members between here and there if you get stuck in between where you are and the house if you choose to chance it but that's up to you.......... stupid question but.....did you check the fluid(look and smell) and when was the last filter done??

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could try to get a hold of jasper and see of still under any type of warrenty..... might be worth a shot.... if so they might let a trans place near we here you are fix it....

SubWarrior

Reaction score
Noisy 4L60E with 100K on it and you have a 1400 mile trip - expecting it to pull a Suburban AND a trailer, with mountains too?

Might as well buy a fistful of lottery tickets too. Your luck is bound to go one way or the other...

Richard

Yeah I know its a long shot. I don't know much about these transmissions and thought that it *might* be ok as gears 2-4 seem fine which would be 99% of the trip. I hear ya though, its a huge risk either way.

SubWarrior

Reaction score
Could try to get a hold of jasper and see of still under any type of warrenty..... might be worth a shot.... if so they might let a trans place near we here you are fix it....

Thats a good idea. I still have the receipt from the shop that did the work. I remember that It did have a 100k warranty, but I think that was limited to 5 years and its been close to 8 years now I think.