Greetings from SE Wisconsin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey, I've posted several times on the forum.

I just picked up a 1997 Tahoe LT. Stock 5.7 Vortec. 180 amp alternator, 199,800mi. Recently rebuilt trans-- Heavy duty clutches, planetaries, etc. w/ a shift kit.

You must be registered for see images attach

My plans are to clean/fix it up a bit. Needs a driver-side front wheel bearing and the idler arm eventually. Carpet's stained and there is some rust on the bottom of the back driver door.
When I fix the rusty door bottom I'm thinking about:
Taking off the badge/bump strip, and repainting the bottom either black or gunmetal
Leaving the strip and painting from the strip-down black and leaving the middle silver.

I'll probably tint the taillights and turn-signals.
Clearance lights.
Fog/driving lights
Exhaust.
Better intake.
Change up the grille (not sure what exactly I'm gonna do with it yet). I'm thinking maybe either a GMC grille or color match the current one.
And probably throw in a few add-a-leafs in the rear (it sags a little), and either crank the torsion bars up an inch-ish or get different keys.
Those tires look too small on the truck, so a little bit bigger tires are in the plans. I'll probably keep the old 15 inch Blazer wheels on there, 15 inch tires are a bit cheaper than 16's. I'm gonna paint the wheels maybe black, but most likely gunmetal.

I have fender flares for it, that the guy included, but they are from a Suburban or 2500/3500. So I either have to buy rear Tahoe flares or modify the rear ones to work with the door. (Anyone have any rear Tahoe flares or know where I can get some for a good price?)

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome man. And it looks like you got a pretty good hoe to start your projects on.

:imo: I would definitely debadge demold. two tones that have been DBDM'd look awesome. And the pinstriping seems dated, but thats just me.

I'm personally not a fan of 16s, let alone 15s. I upgraded my 16" alloys to gmt800 17" black steel police wheels. my truck sits a little higher and a bit better looking now. It's all up to you though. I went with 17s because of the availability of tires compared to 16s or 15s. a $15 price difference per tire isnt that much to me, even in the long run.

For your flares - you will need to scour around for some tahoe rear fenders. Most of the fender flare kits online come with a full kit, so if anything you could sell the set of flares you have and purchase ones specifically for your tahoe.

Reaction score
Thank. And yeah I'm not too sure on the pinstriping. I was thinking the same thing (plus it doesnt line up at some of the doorseams)... But it's easy to remove.

And I suppose you're right about the availability of 17" tires...they are becoming way more common. We'll see...

As far as the debadge/demold goes... are the moldings just stuck on there with tape? I assume the bumper molding has the holes through the bumper for it to mount to.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank. And yeah I'm not too sure on the pinstriping. I was thinking the same thing (plus it doesnt line up at some of the doorseams)... But it's easy to remove.

And I suppose you're right about the availability of 17" tires...they are becoming way more common. We'll see...

As far as the debadge/demold goes... are the moldings just stuck on there with tape? I assume the bumper molding has the holes through the bumper for it to mount to.

moldings are just 3m double sided tape. heat gun and an erasor wheel and you won't have any sore hands come monday morning. for the bumper itself, there are holes in the bumper. But I did see on a truck a couple days ago, chrome molding inplace of the black molding, its barely noticeable as a mere ripple and built in crease on the bumper. I'll try to get ahold of him.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
found a pic of what i was talking about:

we'll see if i can get some info for ya.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo