Greetings from North Texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OrangePower

Reaction score
Hello all! I've been browsing the forum for a few weeks and decided to make an account and chime in.

I recently took my 1989 C1500 Extended Cab out of storage and have started a journey of performing maintenance and improvements to turn it into my daily driver. I've had it since it was new, and through the years put a little under 190K miles on it. For about the past 10 years it's been in storage. It was actually a graduation gift from my grandfather...he said before he passed that he wanted me to have a new truck to take to college...so I intend to keep it until the wheels fall off.

My family had a good run with the GMT400 platform. We had four or five of them over the years, including a mid-'87 production K2500 and later a different '89 that logged over 350K miles before a subsequent owner totaled it. :( My first "family car" after I got married was a '95 'burb with the barn doors.

I appreciate the folks who've been posting their experiences and how-to articles. I'm sure I'll be asking for some input as this project matures. I'm not a mechanic/technician by any stretch, but come from a farm background so do have some clue of how most things work. Thankfully, I was able to benefit from the work of an actual good mechanic in my hometown to get the truck running and all the fluids swapped out after that extended storage.

Anyway, greetings, and "Go 'Pokes"!

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all! I've been browsing the forum for a few weeks and decided to make an account and chime in.

I recently took my 1989 C1500 Extended Cab out of storage and have started a journey of performing maintenance and improvements to turn it into my daily driver. I've had it since it was new, and through the years put a little under 190K miles on it. For about the past 10 years it's been in storage. It was actually a graduation gift from my grandfather...he said before he passed that he wanted me to have a new truck to take to college...so I intend to keep it until the wheels fall off.

My family had a good run with the GMT400 platform. We had four or five of them over the years, including a mid-'87 production K2500 and later a different '89 that logged over 350K miles before a subsequent owner totaled it. :( My first "family car" after I got married was a '95 'burb with the barn doors.

I appreciate the folks who've been posting their experiences and how-to articles. I'm sure I'll be asking for some input as this project matures. I'm not a mechanic/technician by any stretch, but come from a farm background so do have some clue of how most things work. Thankfully, I was able to benefit from the work of an actual good mechanic in my hometown to get the truck running and all the fluids swapped out after that extended storage.

Anyway, greetings, and "Go 'Pokes"!
Welcome from Ohio.