Going to 5/7 from 2/4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black98

Reaction score
Hey guys. I bought the 1998 RCSB with a 2/4 drop already. (2" spindles in the front and 2" hangers/2" shackles in the rear).

A couple questions:

The 2" spindles used were from LMC. How do I know if these push the wheel out like the Belltechs? Should I replace them with the MCG?

What do I do with the current 2" lowering hanger in the rear? I was under the impression that I can't put a stock hanger back on because they were welded on originally. Is this correct? Does any company make a stock length hanger to put back on? I don't have the old hangers and shackles either.

Thanks in advance.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If you leave those front hangers on, when you do the flip the truck would be @ an 8" rear drop. Then...you'd be @ 5/8. A 3" difference front to back makes the truck sit level.
5/7 & it would have a a slight rake.
But, depending on which flip kit you use, you will have to make sure that the pinion angle is correct. Those front hangers can create problems with that.
IIRC, the McGaughy's has an adjustment in the mounting plates to do so. I'm not a fan of that.
I prefer to use a proper pinion wedge mounted between the plate & the spring. To me, that method is just much more solid.
From what I've seen from looking at the flip kits, BellTech & McGaughy's are pretty well the same, except for that adjustable pinion angle thing the McG's have.
I've read on this forum where some claim that the BellTech C-notch is made out of heavier gauge steel. If they are, I wouldn't think that that would be all that much of a difference in the long run. Never heard of either catastrophically failing.
But...! As we here have random roadside inspections, (conducted by qualified mechanics whom are also Gesta...I mean Police officers.) and they usually focus on commercial vehicles, any modified vehicle is subject to their scrutiny.
When they have gone over my truck, the first thing they inspect is the inner corners of the C-notches. They claim that this area is subject to cracking.
I don't know about that. Of all the vehicles on this forum & others that are running the basic 4/6 drop, I have never heard of anyone ever having such issues. Even still, I do check every now & then. More than likely, what they claim is just an excuse to harass.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Oh yea...My black truck is running Belltech style (Canuck Motorsports) spindles. On the 20's I have had to roll the fender lips. Only place that tires do rub is at the bottom rear of the fenderwells.
I cant run my Impala SS wheels on that truck with the BellTech's due to their offset in combo with those spindles.

trent

Reaction score
Hey guys. I bought the 1998 RCSB with a 2/4 drop already. (2" spindles in the front and 2" hangers/2" shackles in the rear).

A couple questions:

The 2" spindles used were from LMC. How do I know if these push the wheel out like the Belltechs? Should I replace them with the MCG?

What do I do with the current 2" lowering hanger in the rear? I was under the impression that I can't put a stock hanger back on because they were welded on originally. Is this correct? Does any company make a stock length hanger to put back on? I don't have the old hangers and shackles either.

Thanks in advance.
I just replaced my hanger/shackles = 4" and have the originals. Used maxtrac and still have yet to put the bed back on. Don't see why one couldn't bolt them back on.