GMT800 SUV Rear suspension in a GMT400 Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Massey

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have not been around much as the web filter at work has killed this site until just reciently. Anyhoo I have an itching to make my truck handle better, and here are my ideas I want to run by you guys.

First off I had a 2004 and 2006 Avalanche which had much better handling than my 98 Silverado. Both AVs had rear sways and the GMT805 SUV trailing link/coil rear suspension. I like the setup on those trucks.

Now I want to get my truck to handle better and I know that leafs are not the best for rear suspension handling. The long arm/panhard bar setup from the 60-72 trucks is prolly the best handling rear suspension out there but that would require more mods than I am willing to do so that setup is out. The setup used on the GMT805 platform is the next best thing that I can think of that would allow me to use parts readily available from a part store or dealership. The other thing is this type of suspension also gives me a future option for air ride with little mods beyond what I have already done.

Do any of you have any thoughts about this or have any of you seen this or a similar mod done to a GMT400 truck? My goal is better handling and keeping the truck's ability to be a truck. Right now everything on the drivetrain and suspension is bone stock. I have good fab skills even tho I lack a readily available machine shop I can get some machine work done as I have family that works in a machine shop and could assist as needed with some of the fab work.

Massey

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would just start out with a rear sway bar and see how it suits you. I plan on installing one on mine.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are Truck Arm kits, while they are ment for F-body's and the alike, they exhist and could be made to fit your current truck with some effort. But 68-72 truck technology is just that... 40 year old technology. while they were a good set up, they were not the best.

As mentioned, toss a sway bar on the rear of the truck. I think the Tahoe's had rear sway bars stock, so I would first hit a junk yard for some cheap parts and make it work. If you want more, I would then look into a variable valved shock or something along those lines.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But 68-72 truck technology is just that... 40 year old technology. while they were a good set up, they were not the best.

But but but NASCAR still uses it....

A call to hotrods to hell an they could make you a truck arm setup that would probably be easier to install than the 5 link from an suv. He can even make it where you could use stock rear arms an axle from an older truck...

Or pick up a 4-link kit meant for bags an substitute coil overs for the bags. Just my .02...

Massey

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs guys. I will look into the truck arms as this is what I want. I plan on eventually installing a LS3 (or the iron block) engine, some juice and try and get the truck around 12.5 in the 1320... But that is a ways down the road.

Massey

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was a square body I could point you to two bolt in truck arm kits but I don't know of any for this body style truck.

I hope to order the kit for my 78 next year, I already have a set of factory arms and a 72 5 lug rear axle waiting. I know everyone slams the truck arms as old school, but how old are leaf springs??? :rofl:

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But but but NASCAR still uses it....

LOL.. ya they do, but thats like saying, hey I have a 350 in my truck, must be like NASCAR because they run small blocks too...
I was refering to the stock style truck arm. yes you could build your own to NASCAR specs, but might as well go with a 4 link at that point

Massey

Reaction score
Yea I'm not interested in moving my fuel tank which would be required to make a long arm setup like NASCAR or 60-72 Chevys have. Triangulated arms like the A and G bodies have could work but I dont like that setup on a truck. So I guess that leaves me with a 4 link system or for me to just make the leafs work.

Just went to my local wrecking yard today to see about components and wow they have changed since last summer. I am going to be rebuilding the front as well and the yard wanted $300 for the arms and spindles! They used to let me pull stuff like that and let it go for $50-$75. I think I need to find another yard and one that is still an open yard where I can save the $$$ by doing the labor myself. After I got the price for the front I didnt even ask how much sectioning a rear frame was gonna cost. For $300 I could just about get a set of tubular arms already equipped ball joints and poly bushings.

Massey