GMT400 armrest adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

My armrest does not have any spring loaded pins in it.

By the looks of it i can just pull the cover back a little and put some tack welds on the pins and it should be alright.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to double check to make sure welding it wouldnt get in the way thats why I was asking, and YES I will have a lot of wet rags on everything.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another question sewlow. When I align the pin in the armrest is it normal for it to be pointing down alittle or is the metal piece bent? Can get you pics if needed

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have to run out to where my truck is, tommorrow. I'll pull mine apart real quick take a look. Seems to me that they do point down a bit when the backrest is reclined to the first notch. Only because as you recline the back, it will also raise the nose of the armrest. And no-one sits in these sit without layin' 'em back a notch or two. That first position is just too square to the cushion.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The first pic is with the pin aligned with the weld marks on the inside (you can feel it while spinning the pin)

the second pic is me putting it straight up and down

If you look close it looks like the metal plate that the pin goes in is bent

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
O.K. I think I've got this figured out. Weld up the pin so that it is sitting flush & tight to the metal frame. If the armrest is not sitting properly after that, take a drift & hit on either side of the pin, just below the crescent shaped cutout. This will change the way that it aligns to the rest of the seat. If you go too far, a long flat screwdriver can be used to bend the pin to the right spot, by inserting it into the crescent & lifting it up. You may have to grind the weld a bit on the pin, in order for the arm rest to be able to seat itself back into the hole.
Whoever drove this truck before you sure was hard on the seat & armrest!

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks man that was the only thing stopping me from welding it up.

That and I need access to a wire feed........ I dont want to use my stick welder on my armrest......(too much flameage)