Gm Semi float 14 bolt, trash or rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I don't think I would be losing anything or much of anything switching to disc since I drive a C1500 with a C2500 9.5 SF. Legally, I am only allowed to tow what the truck is rated. I never changed the suspension on it. Eventually I will swap to a AutoFlex air ride system on the rear, which is designed for 3/4 to 1 ton trucks. It will provide a better ride and keep the truck level while towing. Still, Legally, I can only tow or haul what the truck is rated.

I also seen 3/4 ton and 1 ton single wheel trucks with disc in the later models. I don't know if they are bigger or stronger calipers or both.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
And different master cylinder and more rear bias. They didn't change just the rear to discs, they changed the whole system to make it work.

But for a 1/2 ton it shouldn't be too much a difference. I think I already decided long time ago to drop the ides unless something comes up. My biggest issue was the park/emergency brake.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You're wrong. Half tons push the least amount of fluid to the rears by a landslide. It will suck donkey balls if you don't address the hydraulics.

joshman

Reaction score
IMO if cost is a factor, dont go to disc brakes. the braking benefit will be marginal, & fresh brakes work great.

i do confess the whole semi-float vs full float/C vs K is very confusing! i thought semi floats were always 6 lug, but maybe thats only on the K side. i am clueless about C side axles.

the post above pointing out hydaulics is definitely a factor. when i inquired with my mechanic in going to discs he said i would need new master cylinder & maybe brake lines. no way jose!

good luck

Last edited:

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
C1500 has 5 lugs, K1500 has 6 lugs, C2500LD has 6 lugs, K2500 has 6 lugs, C2500HD has 8 Lugs, K2500 has 8 lugs, c/k 3500 has 8 lugs.

You're wrong. Half tons push the least amount of fluid to the rears by a landslide. It will suck donkey balls if you don't address the hydraulics.

Correction. looking up the parts, I see that the C/K 1500 and the C/K 2500LD share the Identical brake components except the drum size and shoe size. C/K 2500HD and C/K 3500 share the same brake components.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm aware of that. They have the same ****** master with bigger drum brakes. What's your point? Mine was that your truck has the ********* master just like mine.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
GMT 800 master had a single bore size like the 8600GVWR+ GMT400 trucks. Either of those are a good starting point. In the end, you may be better off ditching factory proportioning altogether and running adjustable out back. Not sure how attached to the ABS you are. I forget if you are TBI or Vortec. TBI has a rear prop valve that's easily discarded. Vortec I believe does its proportioning inside the ABS pump.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
My signature shows 1993. anyhoo I feel that this thread has been jacked for 14 bolt brakes. :D