Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor override?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xjoey dubsx

Reaction score
Have a 99 Burban, 5.7l, with a custom 20g fuel cell. It doesn't incorporate the fuel pressure sensor, so it's giving me a CEL. Is there a way to trick it? Diodes or anything? I know I can have the check engine light removed by a custom tune, I believe, any input on that? It runs fine and everything considering.

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
It could be done but you would need to read up on voltage dividers http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/voltage-divider-calculator
The tank pressure sensor is a 3 wire/ pin with a source voltage of 5V. The output, Vout, back to the ECM is a portion of the 5V and a function of the value of "R2" which would be set by the position of the wiper inside the sensor that moves due to the tank pressure. The total variance to the ECM being near 0 when R2 is small, and near 5V when R2 is large. an R2 value of something greater than zero but less than R1+R2 provide the ECM with happy voltage. R1+R2 could be gained by measuring resistance across working sensor while on the bench.
If you knew the range of happy voltage you could then size an R2 and build a divider to go across the plug back to ECM effectively making a fixed sensor. That might work. but then you have the codes when the EVAP solenoid does its checks so finding the right resistor might take a while.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Contact Black Bear Performance. I'm sure if anyone can shut of the EVAP and fuel codes, they can.