Fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've researched this on here and I'm not sure what the deal is. I see where the 98 is supose to have a fuel pressure regulator but I can't find one on mine. If the truck sits for more than a couple mins I have to turn the key on and let the fuel pump catch up before it will start. I'm guessing the regulator acts as a check valve keeping fuel up so that you don't have to do that. Can someone help me out? Thanks

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On a vortec 4.3, 305, and 350 the regulator is mounted right on the side of the injector unit, which is inside your 2 piece intake manifold, if you look at your intake the upper black half has to come off to access it.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your truck wouldn't run at all without a FP regulator, but its built into the fuel metering body which is housed inside the intake manifold, like draggin mentioned....you didn't mention how much actual time it was taking to bleed off or what the circumstances are, but if the pressure is bleeding off quickly (right after key on and the fuel pump stops priming), then it could be the regulator allowing it to bleed off, it could be the metering body leaking it into the manifold, it could even be a leaking poppet or something....however no regulator is perfect and going to hold full pressure for long periods of time, if the issue is only happening when you're letting the truck sit for an extended period after key on engine off fuel pump priming, I wouldn't consider that anything to be worried about. the fuel injecton system is very sensitive to fuel pressure and requires it to be high to function. if the FPR is bleeing off a few psi over like 5-10 minutes of sitting after the fuel pump priming, I wouldn't consider the regulator in need of repalcing, but it would require re-priming, or a slightly extended cranking to get the pressure back up so the poppets will work....however if it is bleeding off over long periods of time, you might want to watch it, and check it every once in a while, and if it's getting worse, then that would be an indication that part of the regulator/poppets/etc is problematic and should be replaced.

the best thing to do is get a fuel pressure gauge, hook it up to the test port on the fuel rail and watch the pressure while the pump is priming see what it peaks at, and how long it takes for the pressure to drop.

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah it takes a little while for it to bleed off. All the injectors are new I ordered all eight at one time deal and put them in. And it only takes maybe 5 to 8 seconds for it to build back up pressure.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah if it's taking a while to bleed off and you don't get any other problems, I'd just keep an eye on it, maybe get a fuel gauge on there and see how long it's taking to actually fall too low...if it gets worse or you get other sympoms of problems then maybe look at replacing the spider assembly or something, but I don't know if it's really an actual 'problem' with what you're describing, it sounds somewhat normal....

FWIW my injection system is VERY different from stock, I have an expensive aeromotive external fuel pressure regulator which functions perfectly, but between it and the other components of my fuel system, my pressure actually bleeds off quicker than the spider assembly ever did. (but then again my injectors aren't like the poppets and don't require specific pressure levels to function)

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah it did this before I replaced the spider injection and after so that isn't the problem. Guess if it doesn't get any worse I won't worry about then.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heh well now you don't need to worry about the regulator

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is nothing else other than the relay that would keep the fuel
Pump from coming on right? Or is the something else that might keep it from turning on? Thanks

popcorn501

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also does the 98 have a fuel pump driver module and if so do you get that when you buy a new pump?