Fuel Pump on a 1990 454SS problem??? Not sure if it is the fuel pump.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spistols

Reaction score
My son has a 1990 454SS with @ 123,000 miles. We bought the truck when it had 114K on it. He always runs the gas tank low, as paying for gas has been tough for him- teenagers, go figure!

Well, we were away for 2 weeks on vacation, and when he took the truck out, he put in @ $23 worth of gas, and said the truck was hard to start at the pump. But it eventually started (in the past, start up was quick and crisp). He went to where he was going, left if for 5 hours in the 95 degree sun, then went to start it and it would start after several long cranks, idle for 20 seconds, then stall. After waiting for @ 5 minutes, it would start, idle for @ 20 seconds again, then stall. When I checked the TBI while it cranked, I asked him to step on the gas, no gas sprayed.

I have not checked anything else yet, but does this sound like a typical fuel pump in the tank problem?

spistols

Reaction score
was there gas in it when you were checking? make sure you have power at your injectors and check your fuel pressure

Yes, there was some gas in it. Novice at this, but on this year/model, what is the best way to check for fuel pressure?

spistols

Reaction score
Need to add, when it ran momentarily several times, there was the spray of fuel at the injectors.