Fuel Pump Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joneserr

Reaction score
Hello first post as I just bought my second Chevy, 1999 K1500 Suburban base model and absolutely love this vehicle (my first Chevy was a 79' Chevette I had in High School in 1990 and was the biggest BOS l have every owned).

The Suburban was used by the State of Washington as a fire fighting forest vehicle. I have all the repair records. Fuel Pump replaced at 110K and currently has 138K. Should I worry about the fuel pump being noisy as it only has 28k on it? Repair records indicate the fuel pump replaced in 2012 was purchased at CarQuest for $315.

I drive this into remote areas of Oregon and just wanting to know if I should be worried? I am thinking not but the pump seems very noisy. However, after running it on a 400 mile trip it did quiet down although temp dropped from 90s to 70s recently.

Thanks!

ETSZ71

Reaction score
Interesting, I just bought a 99 tahoe and my pump was recently replaced (previous owner) and it does seem oddly loud compared to what I'm used to, and way louder than my 95 tbi tahoe.

Apparently its pretty common on this model and usually isn't an indicator of the pump going bad but I would replace the inline fuel filter just in case. Easy cheap maintenance that might reduce the noise but if not at least you know when it's been changed last.

Case182

Reaction score
Every 96+ ive seen around you can hear the fuel pump for miles. Including my 97. Just a common thing with these trucks. Nothing to worry about.

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 98 K1500 Sub with the noisy pump. I've had it for 3 years and just over 45k. It's been noisy since I got it. I had the same fears when I first got it and didn't drive more than about 30 miles away from home for the first year. I started getting used to it and not worrying as much, but now I ignore it mostly.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mine have always made a little bit of noise, although it isn't what I'd call loud. The red trucks was very loud shortly after I bought it, and it did indeed die eventually. Took it a couple months, though. After I replaced it it's been much quieter. I can hear them whine a little when I first turn the key on, but that's it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Different brands and types of pumps - the loudness will vary. It's not hard to understand why TBI is quiet vs. Vortec though; you're talking about ~13psi vs. ~60psi.

Richard

mistaake

Reaction score
Different brands and types of pumps - the loudness will vary. It's not hard to understand why TBI is quiet vs. Vortec though; you're talking about ~13psi vs. ~60psi.

Richard

Well, you certainly have a point there ;)

Regarding 96+ I think the aftermarket Vortec pumps are a lot louder than stock Vortec pumps.

joneserr

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

This makes me feel better. That makes sense the higher fuel pressure on the multiport Vortec engine. I will change the fuel filter (glad it has an inline filter. My wife's 05 Caravan has no inline filter and the filter is in the tank with the unit WTF).

slick96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's when you can't hear the pump you need to get worried! That means it's about to quit