fuel problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rico

Reaction score
well my truck was park for 5 years and it was till this past monday when i got to it and of course the gas that was in the tank was verry little and i added like 25.00 dollars and turn the key and started right up but after 3 minutes of runing it died and did not started again , i did notice that the fuel gauge reads full . please any advice will be appriciaded , thanks ! what should i do ?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year truck is this? Also a fuel filter change would be an excelent place to start, as they can easily get clogged or gummed up from setting. Have you checked the fuel preasure? Should be between 7-14 psi if it is a TBI motor. Can you hear the fuel pump run when the key is turned on? The gauge reading Full could be a completely unrelated issue.

rico

Reaction score
well i have not been able to hear if the pump it's going on but i will tried that first and see and at the same time i think i should take the tank down and get all the gas out and clean the tank !, it will be a good thing to do hey by the way the truck is a 1988 TBI .

THANK'S !

Last edited:

rico

Reaction score
something to new i heard the pump go on but did not go on , could it be the filter in the tank ?

should i take the filter on the rail off and see if fuel pumps out ?

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When they've been sitting for that long there's a whole host of problems that can arise. A basic tune-up and full fluid and filter change (engine, trans, fuel, t-case, diffs) is a good place to start. Then I'd clean the injector bodies themselves.

Also, gas that sits that long may not be flammable anymore. I've seen gas that old that you can't light on fire with a propane torch because it was so contaminated.

rico

Reaction score
Thank's for you're post chevy-man, i also think that i should take the tank down and get it clean up ! is there a special way to get it done ? if so please let me know so i could do it that way . i am new to working on cars or truck's but i could take off an put back on you know !

i really think that the filter on the pump it self it's cloged .

thank's to all that could give me any tipe of heads up !

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there is no filter in the tank, just a screen on the pump, you need to change the fuel filter that is on the driver side frame rail.
also once you get it started and going change the oil and all that, oil that sits is really bad for the engine.
I would drain the gas that is in there and fill it with new, change the fuel filter, add some lucas fuel injector cleaner and get the thing running and drive it for a while, getting everything warm

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The tank is easier to remove with the box off. Yea, I know, sounds like a big job, but if you try to take out the tank with the box on, you'll start to think 1/2 way through that's that maybe what you should off done. The filler neck is a pain to disconnect. Undo it at the tank, not the body. Figure on the bolts on the tank straps breaking, or stripping, or being rusted tight.
IIRC, there is 8 bolts, & a tailight harness to unclip. Don't have to completley remove the box, just has to be slid back far enough to be able to access the tank. You & a couple of buddies could do the whole job in an afternoon, start to finish.
While you have tank out, cleaning it, replace the screen on the pump, if not the whole pump. It'd really suck for the pump to die a week or month down the road after you already did this job.

rico

Reaction score
Thank's alot !Blue95 and sewlow58 , at this time i have alot going so i will hope to get to it soon ! again thank's Guy's .