front wheel locked.......why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rustynuts57

Reaction score
So I left work in my 90 silverado short box 4x4 and as I was going about 80km I heard a loud bang and then the steering felt odd. It was -25C and snow/ice covered shoulders so I slowed to a stop. Got out expecting a flat tire but no......got in and tried to drive ahead but the rt wheel was lock solid. Called the tow truck and now it sits in the driveway.
Left front turns .
I suspect something in the diff let go.

truck is 300 km shy of 300,000 KM
Any thoughts?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sound like a wheel hub assembly unless you were in 4wd when it happened then it could be in the diff

rustynuts57

Reaction score
I was not in 4wd at the time and I think I had recently replaced that bearing but will check tonight when I get it on the hoist.

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a 96 suburban for $100 because the passenger front wheel was locked and the guy didn't want to deal with it. I replaced the caliper in his driveway and drove it home.
Sold it two weeks later for $2500.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
could also be a brake line. The rubber line that goes from the frame to the caliper deteriorates with time and lets pressure go to the caliper but not bleed back to the master cylinder thus locking up that caliper.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont think a brake line or frozen caliper is gonna cause a loud bang before it lets go or freezes up

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've had bad flex hoses suddenly lock on after months of dragging/pulling; the bang noise could have easily been brake pad material breaking loose from its bond to the backing plate. Anyway it's not going anywhere like it is so it's time to start taking it apart, beginning with the caliper.

Richard

rustynuts57

Reaction score
well tonight I got it in the garage....on the hoist and found that it was the wheel bearing hub that was seized....so this weekend its getting the front end service.
Thanks all for your suggestions.