Front Wheel Hub Bearing or Front Diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gm muscle

Reaction score
I have a '97 K1500 with 170K miles and I either have a bad wheel hub bearing or something in the front differential. I started noticing the problem about 2 months ago but it has become progressively worse. At first, I noticed a slight pulsing sensation when braking and the truck was about to come to a complete stop. I ruled out pads/rotors since they had just been replaced about a month before. You could also hear/feel low growl at highway speeds.

Now that problem is quite pronounced and is louder than ever. I lifted the front of the truck and grabbed the tires at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and tried to move the tires back and forth to check for a bad wheel hub bearing. There wasn't any play. Next, a guy I know checked out my truck; the guy used to be a GM service tech. He took a mechanic's stethoscope to the front diff and said it was the output shaft bearing. I've read on several sites where bearing will only act up when there is a load on them and not give any indication that they're going out.

I need advice or suggestions as to what to do next.

Thanks

Davidk3500

Reaction score

Hey, I've got a one ton dually 4x4 and I noticed that highway speed growl you referred to and can feel it a bit too. Turns out it's the front passenger side wheel bearing. I'd say your issue is a bearing as well, but lucky for you you'll pay 1/2 ton bearing price! Mines going to be insane. It's unlikely internal diff issues, these trucks are not known for that as far as I know.

MazingerZ

Reaction score
I have a '97 K1500 with 170K miles and I either have a bad wheel hub bearing or something in the front differential. I started noticing the problem about 2 months ago but it has become progressively worse. At first, I noticed a slight pulsing sensation when braking and the truck was about to come to a complete stop. I ruled out pads/rotors since they had just been replaced about a month before. You could also hear/feel low growl at highway speeds.

Now that problem is quite pronounced and is louder than ever. I lifted the front of the truck and grabbed the tires at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and tried to move the tires back and forth to check for a bad wheel hub bearing. There wasn't any play. Next, a guy I know checked out my truck; the guy used to be a GM service tech. He took a mechanic's stethoscope to the front diff and said it was the output shaft bearing. I've read on several sites where bearing will only act up when there is a load on them and not give any indication that they're going out.

I need advice or suggestions as to what to do next.

Thanks

Did you ever find out what was the source of problem described above?

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m not a expert on diff problems but I have had a wheel bearing go out on my 95 k1500. I was going down the road when my I felt grinding thru my brakes my wheel pulled hard right and I heard chunks of my brakes hitting the side of my truck. Leading up to it going out The MOST noticeable thing about it to me was a whining noise almost 24/7 that only quit when I applied brakes. If it is your hubs the good news is they’re about $100 a piece and takes about a hour to change