Front Tag Bracket Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
i think one thing we'll all agree on is that GM got carried away with the design of the front tag bracket on the GMT400 models.

when i had my truck painted last fall, i asked the painter/body man to fill the top two holes on my smoothie bumper.. he asked ".. why leave the bottom two then?" I wanted a Plan B since Virginia is a front-plate state and at the time i didn't plan on running a front plate...until i got warned numerous times and finally ticketed for it. to the tune of $86 for the fine. I was hell bent on NOT using the stock bracket since it looks so boxie and bulky. I looked at different aftermarket mounting brackets but those would require drilling new holes in my newly painted bumper. Since i've shown the truck a few times (in Under Construction) and plan to show her in the future, i wanted a way to use the two stock mounting holes on the bottom and then take the bracket OFF for shows, then throw it back on later.

SO.......... I put my stock bracket (OE to the truck, for the record) on a diet via a ban saw... yes a ban saw. this could be done with a cut-off wheel and a steady hand, but i'm a klutz and my stepdad has a wood-working shop, so i sawed the devil down some.

first pic shows the front view: (the sides were cut off following the seam/line on each side, the top and bottom were cut along the line as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

i was worried the top mounting "square" areas would rub the paint at highway speed (remember, the top bolt holes were filled...) so i cut those off as well.

back view:

side view:

later on, the bracket will be color matched. i think it will look better this way and not draw your attention to the black plastic bolted against the green bumper.

results:

the ban saw had a fine-tooth blade on it... which left minimal burring. I proceeded to remove the burrs with a table-mounted belt sander with fine grit paper.

front tags suck... but now i don't have such a bulky box displaying mine.

any questions, lemme know.. peace!

EDIT: wanted to say that cutting all that plastic away didn't weaken it in the least.
EDIT again: for the painted bumper guys... i put two rubber washers (the plumbing kind) between the bracket and the paint..then used stainless steel nuts/bolts/washers to reattach it.

Last edited:

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
Great write up!

thanks, i figured i'd share this in case some guys wanted to do this and not go the recessed tag box route (which i probably will later on..not sure)

when the truck is bagged... i may cut more out and use only the two bottom bolt holes on the bracket to attach the top of my plate... being static right now, if i'd done this, my plate would be a little over an inch off the ground.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Very cool! I don't have to run a front tag, but may do this mod anyway!

Sent from my padded cell using Tapatalk 2

radical7

admitted truck *****
Reaction score
great writeup dewayne, and good idea at least u still used gm parts and didnt just make something out of steel.