Front end bushings...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Going to be rebuilding the front end of the green truck, may as well get all new bushings in there too..
Any pros/cons to going to polyurethane? or should I stick with OE?
If anyones got a link to a complete front end bushing kit, that'd be cool too. :)

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Would like to know this too.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
For my black truck, I bought a full urethane kit. Control arms, spring eyes, front sway bar, trans, & cab mounts, and ball joint boots.
Had to buy some for the rear sway bar as they don't come in the kit. Don't have the engine mounts. Doesn't matter cause the engine is coming out this winter.
All have been installed, except for the cab mounts. Didn't do them all at once either. Did the sway bars first, as they are the easiest to install. Last time the rear end suspension was reconfigured was when I did the spring eyes.
I bought a set of control arms from the wreckers, cleaned & painted them, & installed the bushings. New ball joints too, with the new boots. At the time the truck was my DD, so I couldn't afford a lot of down time. Last time I replaced the shocks, I also replaced the control arms with the ones from the wrecker. Took less than a day to do the whole front end.
I have the red bushings. Was told that they would squeak more than the black ones. I haven't noticed that.
The trick with them to not squeak, is to slather on the lube that comes with the kit. If you think you have enough on, put on some more. If that seems to be too much, put on even more! Wear some old clothes doing this! That stuff is pretty hard to get off your hands. Almost impossible to get outa clothing.
The urethane tightened up the whole feel of the truck. No more tossing it into a corner then waiting for the suspension to catch up with the steering.
The urethane does make the truck ride a bit firmer/stiffer, but for what intentions I have for the truck, it doesn't bother me a bit.
Before I got the urethane installed, the sticky tires & larger wheels, along with crap shocks, really accentuated the worn out rubber that the urethane replaces. The truck felt old. Sloppy. Now, it's like it feels new, tight, & more sure-footed. But then new rubber bushings would be better than the 13 year old stuff anyway.
The kit is fairly cheap. Less than $150.00 IIRC. It's a lot of work to install all the parts & pieces, but I have every intention of doing the same to my blue truck, sometime in the future. One of the mods that, in combination with some others, has really changed the way that the truck feels, rides & handles.

southern_z71_92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

VorTEX

Reaction score
I replaced everything with moog and it seems to be doing the trick. everything was good quality. just like with anything else, I think it just depends on how hard you are on your truck

Arcane

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use Urithane or GM only. All other won't last for a long time. I recently tried all sway bar links of the rockauto and there is no difference what to use, moog, raybestos, chineese crap. All accept GM and ES works for about few months.

VorTEX

Reaction score
Was the moog a complete set like above?

no it was all separate. upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower control arm bushings, sway bar end links, inner and outer tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm. I forgot to do the sway bar bushings but I will be doing them soon

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Awesome. The full kits a little more than I want to spend right now.
I'll try to source the control arm bushings by themselves,
I've got the sway bar bushings, as well as sway bar links coming.

So is it just the control arms being the major ones up front?