Front end bounces when braking and slowing down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
My truck is a 1996 Chevy k1500 vortec 5.7 nv3500. Most of the time when I'm stopping, be it braking, just coasting to a stop or both the front end seems to bounces sometimes worse than others. The front torsion bars (it is 4x4) are cranked to level the front and rear. It is not riding on bump stops. There is maybe half to 3/4 of an inch between UCA and bump stop.

Advice?

Also tires are rotated every oil change so I doubt it's that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To check shocks push up & down on the truck at the corners . If it doesn't stop as soon as you stop it needs shocks. If you hit a hump in the road and you bounce more than once you need shocks. If you hit the brakes at highway speed as if you are taking an exit and the brake pulsates or feels like a vibration you probably have warped rotors on the front., as you gradually slow you will feel the brakes almost feel like the are grabbing and leasing the slower you go. That is bad rotors. A bad tire will vibrate without braking but may show up more under braking, run your hand over the tread all the way around the tire if it is not smooth and you feel a lump or an lumpy feel you need tires. Out of balance tires will cause wear that scallops the outside of the tire.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
To check shocks push up & down on the truck at the corners . If it doesn't stop as soon as you stop it needs shocks. If you hit a hump in the road and you bounce more than once you need shocks. If you hit the brakes at highway speed as if you are taking an exit and the brake pulsates or feels like a vibration you probably have warped rotors on the front., as you gradually slow you will feel the brakes almost feel like the are grabbing and leasing the slower you go. That is bad rotors. A bad tire will vibrate without braking but may show up more under braking, run your hand over the tread all the way around the tire if it is not smooth and you feel a lump or an lumpy feel you need tires. Out of balance tires will cause wear that scallops the outside of the tire.
I'm betting on rotors. Shocks are relatively new. Bilstein's coming in March.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk