Front Differential 1 or 2 actuting switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Point out the plate that you are talking about and you can get an answer to your question.

You must be registered for see images attach

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
#6 is what is different, 1 has 1 sensor 1 has 2. Wondering if the rest is different.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think what your calling a 2nd actuator or sensor is the switch that turns on the 4x4 light when the gears are engaged.

They may have done away with that with the electric actuators, which would make sense since they have more wires and a new harness is required to upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@magimerlin I would respect your opinion as well.
Thank you... I appreciate the trust... unfortunitally the 8.25 and 9.25 parts are not interchangeable and they mount on differant spots in the truck..which is wjy you do not see sny talk of putting a 9.25 in place of tje 8.25. if your thermal actuator is out you can upgrade to the newer electronic style though... here is a pic with both dorman part numbers for the conversion...

One switch(the larger one) is for actually actuating the front diff the other smaller one is just for the light for in the cab saying your in 4x4..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I'm gonna get one and take it apart and report back, they should both be 8.25, just one has 2 switches and one just has 1. I'm going to try to take off the part in the diagram above from the new one and put it on from the old one.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Thank you... I appreciate the trust... unfortunitally the 8.25 and 9.25 parts are not interchangeable and they mount on differant spots in the truck..which is wjy you do not see sny talk of putting a 9.25 in place of tje 8.25. if your thermal actuator is out you can upgrade to the newer electronic style though... here is a pic with both dorman part numbers for the conversion...

One switch(the larger one) is for actually actuating the front diff the other smaller one is just for the light for in the cab saying your in 4x4..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I did this upgrade years ago and it's still works great.The nice thing about this upgrade is it engages the front diff almost immediately and will stay engaged until shifted to 2wd.Just be careful how the wires are routed.