Front Differential 1 or 2 actuting switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
This may be obvious but I have searched some, need a replacement front differential and I don't have the knowledge or picture reference to know how to determine between a 1 actuating switch or 2, can someone post a pic or info so I know I ordered the right one?

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I think what you are looking at is two different style actuators. The one in the second pic is the old style thermal actuator that has now been replaced by the one in the first pic which is an electric style.

The old style thermal was slow to engage especially in cold weather. The newer style electric is much quicker to engage.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
You are right, but 1997 was the split year so I really didn't know what to look for until I seen the picture of the wire coming out from above the actuator, just posted the pics in case anyone else needs help because I couldn't find much about anywhere on the net.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
The electric actuator fits 1500 series K trucks from 1988 through 1999 and several other trucks up to 2005.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Are these front ends interchangable if you unholy the actuator plate?

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Dang Phone, Auto correct changed it. Are they the same if you unbolt the actuator plate and change it? I found a low mileage 1 switch differential, if I change the plate and switches can I use it on a 2 switch differential?

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
Dang Phone, Auto correct changed it. Are they the same if you unbolt the actuator plate and change it? I found a low mileage 1 switch differential, if I change the plate and switches can I use it on a 2 switch differential?

I am not sure what plate that you are talking about. The actuators unscrew from the right side tube, the threads are the same. You can use either the thermal or electric actuator in the front diff.