Front big brake upgrade, again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

realsquash

Reaction score
Yes, I will post some pix this weekend. I ended up buying DJM lowers arms and machining a "puck" to adapt the ball joint that fits the new knuckle. The stock arm could work, but it would need a good bit trimming off the very end of the arm. I have a set of DJM uppers coming, but the stock upper arm will work depending on what your ride height is - the BJ fits. The tierod end needs to be flipped, but it fits the knuckle. I'm going to try to get it all lined up this weekend and set my ride height once and for all (just got tires/wheels). Then the rack and pinion swap will begin.

I also ended up with 4-piston front Brembo calipers from a Cadillac ATS. They fit the 13" GM front rotor perfectly. I am planning on ordering the 14" rotors from Summit Racing, but the ATS calipers will require a little clearancing to fit them. I wanted to use 2010+ Camaro Brembos, but they have a wider rotor and I didn't want to modify the calipers to narrow them.

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rack and pinion I need to see!!
Whilst I'm not going for outright handling ( truck is going on air) having it go where pointed would be nice.

realsquash

Reaction score
Rack and pinion I need to see!!
Whilst I'm not going for outright handling ( truck is going on air) having it go where pointed would be nice.

The RnP involves some fab work - the front of the crossmember under the engine gets cut off and plated flat. I don't want to set it up until I know exactly where the arms end up. FWIW I decided not to use the DJM arms. They don't seem to fit the frame mounts correctly, and I don't like the way they did the bushings. And they weigh a *ton*. I'm going to fab my own this week, unfortunately.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Just a word of caution installing a rack and pinion: I would very carefully read the Race Car Vehicle Dynamics book by Milliken and Milliken.

Chapters 17 through 19: Steering geometry, Wheel loads, and Steering Systems.

The vertical height and fore / aft relationship of the rack mounting compared to the steering knuckle is absolutely critical for proper steering.

realsquash

Reaction score
I haven't finished it, had to finish up some things on the engine. It's a big project with a lot going on and not enough time in the day to work on it...