Freshly rebuilt 350 not starting!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just rebuilt the engine in my truck. I've got it all back together and in the truck. I've got the timing right, firing order right, I believe I got the valve lash set right. It's getting gas and fire. What should I be checking for? This is my first rebuild BTW.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have dizzy stabbed 180* out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
It is time to double check everything. You need spark, fuel, and compression.

Spark: Verify proper distributor phasing, and verify ignition wiring per firing order (you need to do this).
Fuel: Check plumbing (sounds like this is ok)
Compression: Verify even compression across all cylinders. (this is the check for proper lifter preload adjustment...you need to do this).

Let me know if you need more assistance getting into the activities described above.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
I bet you've washed it out with gas before the rings sat and the lifters pumped.

All your stuff is likely fine but you are suffering a procedure error. Spins real easy, right? (cranks fast)

Pull the fuel pump relay and try again.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have dizzy stabbed 180* out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I put the #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke (both valves on #1 cylinder were closed) then I stabbed the distributor with the rotor pointing toward the #1 cylinder. I then installed the cap. I started on the #1 plug wire. Put it on the post that the rotor was touching. I then followed the firing order clockwise for the rest of the wires. Correct me if I've done something wrong.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is time to double check everything. You need spark, fuel, and compression.

Spark: Verify proper distributor phasing, and verify ignition wiring per firing order (you need to do this).
Fuel: Check plumbing (sounds like this is ok)
Compression: Verify even compression across all cylinders. (this is the check for proper lifter preload adjustment...you need to do this).

Let me know if you need more assistance getting into the activities described above.
I'm in OK right now for college. I'll head back home when I get the chance and check all this. What are the procedures for checking compression? What type of gauge would you recommend? What should be the average compression?

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bet you've washed it out with gas before the rings sat and the lifters pumped.

All your stuff is likely fine but you are suffering a procedure error. Spins real easy, right? (cranks fast)

Pull the fuel pump relay and try again.
It does crank fast and dump a LOT of fuel. What you're saying is that I should crank it dry w/ the fuel pump off to get the rings to seat? About how long should this take?

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How did you set the valve lash?
Following a Haynes manual, I put the #1 cyl to TDC on the compression stroke. I tightened both valves down so there was very little play in the push rods. Then I tightened certain other valves (still following the Haynes manual.) Then I rotated the crank 360° and adjusted the rest of the valves. (Did I mention this is the first rebuild I've done?)