Freshly rebuilt 350 not starting!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe time to call a guy. Sometimes a guy needs to know when hes over his head. Itll probably be cheaper in the long run too.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe time to call a guy. Sometimes a guy needs to know when hes over his head. Itll probably be cheaper in the long run too.
Yup. I was thinking the same thing. My mom was gonna take it to a classic car shop

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So did you prime the oil system before you adjusted the valve lash? with new lifters they are probably not full of oil so as you cranked the engine and it got oil pressure the lifters pumped up with oil and cause the valvetrain to bind and bend the pushrods.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So did you prime the oil system before you adjusted the valve lash? with new lifters they are probably not full of oil so as you cranked the engine and it got oil pressure the lifters pumped up with oil and cause the valvetrain to bind and bend the pushrods.
This might be my problem. How do I prime the oil system?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty self-explanatory, you need a tool to manually engage the pump with a drill. Spin the pump for a few minutes before running the engine to get everything oiled up properly. If you didn't do this, it's no wonder things aren't going well, ouch.

You need something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/PUMP-PRIMER-Chevy-Small-block/dp/B0049OGBKQ

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty self-explanatory, you need a tool to manually engage the pump with a drill. Spin the pump for a few minutes before running the engine to get everything oiled up properly. If you didn't do this, it's no wonder things aren't going well, ouch.

You need something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/PUMP-PRIMER-Chevy-Small-block/dp/B0049OGBKQ
Could I just use an old distributor or a flat head screw driver for this? And how do I know when it's fully primed?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could I just use an old distributor or a flat head screw driver for this? And how do I know when it's fully primed?

Not really. I mean I guess you could in an end of the world type situation, but you'll be sitting there cranking it by hand for literally a week. You'll see it coming up under the rocker arms when everything's primed.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'll break down my method for you. Sucks but gonna have to pull the distributor, disable the fuel and spark, also pull a valve cover off. MAKE sure the rockers are not over tightened so the lifters have room to pump up. Then use a tool like df2x4 posted it goes down into the dist. hole and spins the oil pump. Watch for oil to come out the top of the push rods then turn the engine over 90degrees at a time from the crank pulley bolt. Now set the lash. Re enable the spark and put the dist back in. I'd crank it like that till oil pressure shows on the gauge and then hook up the fuel.
If your willing to gamble a bit with your new engine (I do this on used engines and crate rebuild motors) you could just leave the rockers loose and crank the motor over with no fuel and spark till you get good oil pressure. Then set lash. My biggest thing is to make sure your not putting fuel in the engine unless your trying to get it to run you could wash out the cylinders and dilute the oil with gas which isn't a good lubricant for a fresh motor. With a new engine and your issues I might be tempted to leave lash a bit loose and once the truck runs for a 5-20 minutes to break in the cam set lash right. It will make some noise but loose lash wont bend push rods.

Looks like I took to long typing.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'll break down my method for you. Sucks but gonna have to pull the distributor, disable the fuel and spark, also pull a valve cover off. MAKE sure the rockers are not over tightened so the lifters have room to pump up. Then use a tool like df2x4 posted it goes down into the dist. hole and spins the oil pump. Watch for oil to come out the top of the push rods then turn the engine over 90degrees at a time from the crank pulley bolt. Now set the lash. Re enable the spark and put the dist back in. I'd crank it like that till oil pressure shows on the gauge and then hook up the fuel.
If your willing to gamble a bit with your new engine (I do this on used engines and crate rebuild motors) you could just leave the rockers loose and crank the motor over with no fuel and spark till you get good oil pressure. Then set lash. My biggest thing is to make sure your not putting fuel in the engine unless your trying to get it to run you could wash out the cylinders and dilute the oil with gas which isn't a good lubricant for a fresh motor. With a new engine and your issues I might be tempted to leave lash a bit loose and once the truck runs for a 5-20 minutes to break in the cam set lash right. It will make some noise but loose lash wont bend push rods.

Looks like I took to long typing.
Thanks so much! I will do this. Any way to tell if I already have gas in my oil?