Free or cheap "mods", with dyno results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I ran both tests with the cruise set at 60mph. Outside air temp was about 30 F as well. Motor warmed up running at 194 F.

Without air box lid:
Intake air temp: 30 F
MAF: ~5.2 lb/min

With air box lid:
Intake air temp: 30 F
MAF: ~6.0 lb/min

Only difference was with the MAF sensor reading, which was surprising higher with the air box lid on.

rep for research

So.... more airflow WITH the lid. That is surprising.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Sorry I'm so slow on the draw boys, my job keeps me very busy.

But to answer you Vortec Lover, and now if he doesn't mind, using rcman's data, I noticed no noticeable difference with or without an enclosed lid. I highly doubt anyone will notice a .8lb flow difference in the seat of their pants, or even on a dyno for that matter haha. But I also have a diverter plate by my open filter that allows it to breathe the cooler air from the fender and block the warm air from the engine (the top of the diverter goes all the way to the hood when it is closed). I also have a cowl hood and an electric fan that has enough suction to embarass Jenna Jameson. I figured those all combined equaled a much lower underhood temp than a truck with a clutch fan and stock enclosed hood. AND, being in north Texas, most of the year around here the temp outside is probably as hot or hotter (mid-summer) than the temp in the engine bay. Climate is a very big factor that many people don't consider, a setup that someone has in say, Minnesota, may not work exactly the same as someone in Arizona. Humidity, year-round average temperature, elevation, many of these things have a larger effect on even the smallest "modifications" than many people realize.

EDIT: After thinking abut it, if you put a tube-type intake tube and eliminated the need to mount your box to the fender, you could cut the hole in your fender larger to allow more air mass to enter where the filter can pick it up.

Last edited:

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
rep for research

So.... more airflow WITH the lid. That is surprising.

Yes, but you also have to consider that it's still the stock ribbed tube (BIG flow killer) and restricted fender box with a paper filter.

rcman, if you could yourself, or find someone who has a "cold-air" (by that I meant straight-tubing) intake, I'm curious to see the flow difference in a factory setup and CAI setup. Wish I had the time and resources to test things like this, with actual numbers as data

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, but you also have to consider that it's still the stock ribbed tube (BIG flow killer) and restricted fender box with a paper filter.

rcman, if you could yourself, or find someone who has a "cold-air" (by that I meant straight-tubing) intake, I'm curious to see the flow difference in a factory setup and CAI setup. Wish I had the time and resources to test things like this, with actual numbers as data

I am interested in this too with a CAI, but don't have the time to right now. I was just going off your previous post where it seemed like you just removed the cover on the air filter box and nothing more. I can see if you had all the others it would make a difference. Plus I am in cold, dry weather right now too, way different from Texas

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
If you get an opportunity I would love to see some numbers. I'm sure everyone else would too

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I'm running a K&N filter right now though, not a generic paper filter... and can you give us a picture of your engine bay? Sounds like you've done quite a bit to it

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
I'm running a K&N filter right now though, not a generic paper filter... and can you give us a picture of your engine bay? Sounds like you've done quite a bit to it

While the K&N does allow the engine to breathe easier, you're still getting the same amount of air as the paper filter as long as you have the stock box on the fender. The filter doesn't change the amount of air being breathed, it changes it's resistance to incoming air. Think of it this way, take a piece of kleenex or toilet paper and double fold it over (essentially what a stock filter is made of and how thick it is). Now making an "intake" with one hand (pretend you're holding a roll of quarters or something about the size of a broomstick, this is about to scale to what your truck breathes through), and take a few breaths through it. That's your box without the lid. Now cover the open part of that hand with the other hand (loosely, you don't have to apply pressure). That's with the lid. Now do it with a piece of gauze (like in a first-aid kit). That's your K&N filter. You're not breathing more air, it's just flowing easier because of less restriction. If you remove your hand altogether and just breathe through the kleenex or gauze, that's roughly the effect of using a straight tube and eliminating your fender box.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
And yes, I will put up a pic tomorrow, I don't have any on the computer I'm on right now

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Sorry, you'll have to excuse how dirty it is, haven't washed in a couple weeks due to weather

You must be registered for see images attach