Free or cheap "mods", with dyno results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
After pulling some people out of a ditch I revved up to 4k... THEN I heard it. Sounds good.

I'm thinking the real difference is whether or not your air filter box is open. I have done this on every Vortec I've owned (5 of them), but I've also done an open cone-style filter at the same time

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Very interesting stuff and a great write-up. Interested in the 454 TB. I might give that a try, I like cheap.

I actually wondered about doing that before, but never saw anyone who has done it so I wasn't sure if it would be worth bothering with.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Very interesting stuff and a great write-up. Interested in the 454 TB. I might give that a try, I like cheap.

I actually wondered about doing that before, but never saw anyone who has done it so I wasn't sure if it would be worth bothering with.

Post back here with how it turns out

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Will do. Might not be for awhile but I will. I've got lots of spare parts so I could always switch back to the old TB easily if I didn't like it, so I'm not too scared.

I like my baby to run top-notch all the time with no hiccups, so I am a little uneasy about doing a mod like that until I've seen a few more do it... you, for instance :gr_grin:

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot, but isn't it better to have cold air from the outside than warm air from the engine bay?
I am gonna test this with my code reader. I can read intake air temp, so I was gonna read what it is at with a warm engine with the lid off and with it on. I was thinking the same thing you were because the intake is pretty close to the motor.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I am gonna test this with my code reader. I can read intake air temp, so I was gonna read what it is at with a warm engine with the lid off and with it on. I was thinking the same thing you were because the intake is pretty close to the motor.

Thanks, man! Rep when you get back with it.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, man! Rep when you get back with it.

I ran both tests with the cruise set at 60mph. Outside air temp was about 30 F as well. Motor warmed up running at 194 F.

Without air box lid:
Intake air temp: 30 F
MAF: ~5.2 lb/min

With air box lid:
Intake air temp: 30 F
MAF: ~6.0 lb/min

Only difference was with the MAF sensor reading, which was surprising higher with the air box lid on.