Freddy's (SubLO) 1997 GMC Sierra Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, lots of others have one right? :hmm: Figured it's time to start my own.

Completed Mods
  • Manik 3" Stainless steel step bars
  • Remote alarm tied to horn, shock/motion sensors, ignition cut-off, remote start (crucial in winter)
  • 20% tint all around
  • Moto Metal 955 chrome rims 18x9 E.T. -12mm, with poly centering rings from RimzoneOnline.com (bought off eBay)
  • Nitto Terra Grappler 285/60/18 Load Range-E Tires (love 'em)
  • Plastic bed liner
  • CatchAll Xtreme front and rear mats
  • Pioneer TS-A4674R 4" x 6" 3-way Speakers (rear)
  • Alpine SPS-600 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 2-way Speakers (front)
  • A/C leaks fixed, charged, condenser/fan mod (cleaning - gross stuff in there)
  • Roof marker lights. Cheapie imitation CF. Will have to change them - don't like them.
  • Flowmaster CBE with straight out the back dual exits (not a fan. came with truck. has to go)
  • eBay "P.U. Technology" OEM type black plastic fender flares. Couldn't stand the OEM tiny little chrome jammies.
  • PepBoys (a.k.a. Rice-A-Lot) chrome locking gas cap

Parts Arrived But Yet to be Installed
  • TheDetailsSS Double-Din kit
  • Pioneer Avic 910BT Nav Headunit
  • Lanzar HTG237 1000 Watt 2-Channel Mosfet Amplifier
  • Kicker Comp 8-inch Subwoofers x2
  • Custom fab'd center console holding woofers, amp, CB/PA, cup holders, etc
  • TheSeatShop Beige leather replacement seat cover (excellent quality)
  • Uniden President HR2510 10-meter rig modified for 11 meter :) Bought this 20 years ago and still use it
  • DTA-103200 Chrome front smoothie bumber with teardrop lights and Frenched plate
  • DTA 4-inch bumper light kit

Future Mods
  • Detroit TruTrac front and rear to replace this stupid one-legger - ordering now. Should have the rear done next month.
  • Replace rusty old squeaky shocks with Ranchos or Skyjackers
  • Carriage Works 40262 Polished cut-out style grill
  • Rebuild front-end and get rid of wishy-washy Jello driving (e.g., tie rods, ball joints, and bushings)
  • Custom/home built vertical scissor lift tonneau with electric/hydraulic power unit
  • Sto-away bumper crane (maybe)
  • Replace worn out unederpowered leafs
  • Flowmaster aluminized CBE with dual SIDE exits
  • High-flow cat
  • 1 5/8-inch equal length headers
  • Custom tune
  • AirRaid CAI or Flowmaster FIPK/CAI
  • On-board air and an effin' train horn!
  • Get rid of that horrific, flat black spray tint on the tail lights. I like OEM bright red tails on these trucks
  • Projector lenses and cleared corners

Pipedreams
  • Brand new 383 4-bolt main stroker or 406 with 'Vette style EFI/intake - maybe from Arizona Speed & Marine. Shooting for 350Hp and 400+ ft/lbs
  • Maybe a 4BT swap - rebuilt where I can get @ 200HP and 350+ ft/lbs AND 28 mpg highway
  • NV4500

First, a little background. I'm an old man (born in '71). Ha! I like old stuff. I'm a mechanical engineer by degree but have been a professional I.T. guy (to put it mildly) for over a decade. I grew up taking apart RC cars and model trains and have been a tinkerer since in the womb. I'm a generally can-do can-fix anything kind of guy. Therefore, my heroes are guys like Harley Earl, Arkus Duntov, John Lingenfelter and Reeves Callaway. I guess I'm a somewhat of a rare-breed Northerner on these here parts (haha) owning pickup with an off-road bend. There isn't a high concentration in the NYC suburbs.

My 1997 Suburban (pictured below). Kick myself in the arse every single day for being delusional and selling it a few years ago. Stupid, stupid... Anyway, I bought this 1997 Sierra a few months ago as I needed it to haul my bikes, big box store purchases for home renovations, runs to the dump, etc. etc. Not to mention, I just plain old wanted one! I think the GMT400's are by far the most attractive of the latest 5 generations of GM trucks (subjective I guess). I remember going to the Javits Center for the NY Auto Show for the debut of both the 1999/2000 as well as the current model and being pretty disappointed - styling in particular. Oh well.

This is a primarily a city truck that does occasional towing of bikes/camper/boat, a few camping trips a year of light off-roading (dirt/gravel), and depending on the winter, a good amount of trudging through the white stuff which can get real gnarly up here. Therefore, I have no interest in lifting (for now). I don't like the body lifts at all so if I ever do that, I would consider 305/60/18 or even 325/60/18 with a "mild" 3 or 4 inch max suspension job. But again, no time soon. I love the look I have now. It actually looks real leveled already. I'm guessing that's just from age and worn out rear leafs. I loaded about 10 distributed bags of 80lb concrete in the bed this weekend and did not like how far she sank. May need to replace the leafs or slap some helpers on there. I plant to keep this thing for a long, LONG time. So, mod I must! BTW, for reference, I bought this truck for $5,200 a couple of months ago from a really nice family in New Jersey.

In any case, I'm rambling.

Day 1 When I picked her up. High mileage but runs great and everything worked! (sort of)

Kind of plain Jane but love the shape
You must be registered for see images

Rips =/ Eh, 151,*** miles - guess it's inevitable. I yell at my wife every time she's in the truck to "step up then out" not slide out!!!!!

A week or two later, the A/C promptly said "see ya later" and pumped out hot air. Turned out, the high-pressure valve was leaking. Replaced it for $5 bucks, recharged for about $40 and good to go.

First rain storm, I come to find out the seller committed a glaring omission. ROOF LEAKS! Grrr!!!! Headliner by top on windshield on passenger side was the culprit. Since this exact same spot leaked on my old 'Burb, I took matters into my own hands. Cleaned out the seals as best I could, and applied generous amounts of clear silicone caulk. Did the same around the marker lights. Problem solved.

A few weeks later, more mods...

I know a lot of you guys here hate on them, but I really, really like the look of the nerf/old man steps. Also threw on the Moto Metals and Terra Grapplers just today!

Finally, some ass view :evillol:

And of course my long lost, much loved and missed 'Burb :(

More to come!

:005:

Last edited: