For the Corvette guys on GMT 400 dot com

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There was talk about replacing rear wheel bearings on the C2 and C3 Corvettes earlier. Yes, if left too long, or if installed without the correct lash, they can be problematic. However, if of high quality and if installed correctly, they are very long lasting. Something that most owners miss is the necessity of greasing them on occasion. There's an inexpensive plastic tool for that, but the rear half-shafts have to be removed to do it. That's why most don't bother until they're faced with a big expense of replacement rather than maintenance.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a simple way to press in the bearing races...

Here's a rear spindle that needed some work...

Last edited:

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm sure I mentioned it before, in this thread, but these cars came with bias-ply tires. Radials didn't arrive until a few years later, in North America. To describe how 6" wide bias-ply tires function (compared to wider radials), imagine trying to accelerate on an icy road with bald tires and mega-torque. Just upgrading these cars to modern tires, even if still narrow under the wheel-wells, does wonders for performance.

Also, somewhere back in this thread, I mentioned that my 67HEAVEN sits lower now than a stock C6...

Proof...

Aeroscream

Reaction score
There was talk about replacing rear wheel bearings on the C2 and C3 Corvettes earlier. Yes, if left too long, or if installed without the correct lash, they can be problematic. However, if of high quality and if installed correctly, they are very long lasting. Something that most owners miss is the necessity of greasing them on occasion. There's an inexpensive plastic tool for that, but the rear half-shafts have to be removed to do it. That's why most don't bother until they're faced with a big expense of replacement rather than maintenance.

Here's a simple way to press in the bearing races...

Here's a rear spindle that needed some work...

I've installed that grease collar a couple of times before I stepped away from doing them altogether.
Gave my boxes and assorted shims of different thickness', spare crush collars, set up tools etc. away.
Your spot on about not letting them get too far worn out so one does not end up with a pile of molten carnage. I'd get calls from friends and others to have me look one over they were considering buying only for the mechanical end of it. I stay away from the verifications of the matching numbers end of it. I'd have the seller jack up the back end just to inspect the rear wheels to see if they were on the way out.
Replaced countless rear springs, sometimes with the fiberglass one, for ride comfort.
Bought my first brake bleeder system specifically to do Corvettes because my ex-wife got tired of me bugging her to help me bleed them working side jobs at home. LOL
Hated repairing the emergency brakes.
Enough of the rant.
Some really nice pics of some fantastic cars.
Americas true sports car.
Visited/ toured the plant when it first opened in KY while running a muscle car shootout at Beach Bend Raceway in the 80's
Never did the museum, was used to seeing them every last weekend in June in Bloomington.

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much of this project did I do personally? Everything, except for bodywork and paint. I came up with the entire plan, researched parts availability and began the disassembly. Here's the dash after removal of the instrument cluster. Rather than "wonder" about possible problems in the wiring, I ordered 'exact' replacements from Lectric Limited, for the entire car...

They even included a laminated diagram which hangs in the shop today...

Dash out of the car...

Instrument panel before rebuild...

Last edited:

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After all new gages and a repaint...

In between start and finish on the instrument panel...

Assembling the 502...

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...I stay away from the verifications of the matching numbers end of it.

Yes, there are many, many ways that can identify the originality of these cars. Since I've been talking about instrument clusters lately, here's a shot of the rear of mine, showing the white sticker with red lettering. From the codes on this, you can tell it came from a high-horsepower '67 big-block...

Maybe I'll get around to posting the rebuild of the hidden headlight components and electric motors soon. You won't believe how many parts it takes to spin those doors. LOL.

Last edited: