For the Corvette guys on GMT 400 dot com

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry for posting so often, but there is so much to share with interested parties. 1967 Corvette prices on left. El Camino on right...

You must be registered for see images attach

1967 Corvette battery tender fire...

1967 Corvette in Carrera Panamericana...

Remember Dennis Hopper?

Aeroscream

Reaction score
Thank you, Aeroscream. Nothing to be jealous of. I was lucky to be able to buy it when I was young and stupid. The only thing I've had longer is my brother. Parents are long gone.

FYI, the Mark IV 427/435 is sitting in the shop. The engine you're looking at is a Mark VI ZZ502 c.i. The external dimensions are identical, so it sits in there looking like it's at home.

Due to the power brake booster on the car, there is no room for the cast 502 cylinder head covers, shown above, so they're hanging on a wall in the shop. I used the original stamped steel covers, from the 427, because they came with a relief on the driver's-side rear of the head, to clear the booster. This was necessary with all big-block Corvettes with power brakes from 1965 through 1967. Chevy moved things enough in the C3 so that the relief was no longer necessary.

Ah, jealous in a kind way.
I guess if I had paid closer attention to the crankshaft flange between the rear main and the flywheel it could have helped me from a fupah.

There are a couple of 454's out there that could fool the average Joe in to thinking there was a transplant that might had took place. If got a couple of pairs boxed up somewhere amongst others.
I watched a few of those go through the parts dept back in the day. A few of them made to my house to install in a few 55, and 56 Chevys.
Yeah, valve covers, air cleaners, and intake manifolds , where just a few of the items specifically for clearance problems.

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remember, they came with 6" wide bias-ply (non-radial) tires...

For those with older eyes, that's 12.8 seconds @ 112 mph, with a 3.36:1 final drive...55 years ago.

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The colours that were available on the 1967 Corvette...

Too bad they didn't sell more painted in Elkhart Blue. Just beautiful...

The soft top is Teal Blue. The 427 hood stripe is black.

For those who like detail, and not forgetting that the above is an excellent car, there is a very minor error. The passenger side wiper should come to rest 'above' the driver's side wiper, the opposite of above. ;) I mention this as an example of what to expect if you were to get deeply involved in the Corvette hobby.

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Back in the '60s, there were choices in how a car could be ordered. For example, in 1967, you could choose from an option list that included...
- 7 engines
- 5 transmissions
- 7 rear differential ratios
- 3 braking systems
- 2 ignition systems
- 3 exhaust systems
- 2 different size fuel tanks (20 gal. or 36 gal.)
- radio or no radio
- heater/defroster or no heater/defroster
- power steering or manual
- power brakes or manual
- power windows or manual
- A/C or no A/C
- etc.

In other words, if you were a librarian, you could order a 327/300 hp with automatic, PW, A/C, etc. If you were a balls to the wall racer, you simply ticked RPO L88 and got a car with the 560 hp (officially rated at 430 hp...wink, wink) and got the baddest 12.5:1 compression 427, the rock-crusher M22 4-speed, HD suspension, HD brakes, transistorized ignition, aluminum rad, no fan shroud, no radio, no heater/defroster, etc., otherwise known as the let's-go-racing option. Or, anything in between the librarian's car and the race car.

Choices!

Last edited:

67HEAVEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A page or two back, I mentioned that I used the original valve covers from the 427, to clear the power brake booster. The photo was of chrome covers, with the indent for the booster. However, I didn't use chrome covers. Stayed with the original Chevy Orange. Why? The only 427 that came with chrome covers, in 1967, was the L71/L89. That was a 435 hp 427 with aluminum heads. They only built 16 of them...even less than the 20 L88 engines built. Yes, the L88 had aluminum heads, but it did not get chrome covers like the L71/L89 did. C'mon guys...the L88 was a race car.

We had a saying, back in the day... "If it don't go, chrome it".

Too much detail? LOL.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A page or two back, I mentioned that I used the original valve covers from the 427, to clear the power brake booster. The photo was of chrome covers, with the indent for the booster. However, I didn't use chrome covers. Stayed with the original Chevy Orange. Why? The only 427 that came with chrome covers, in 1967, was the L71/L89. That was a 435 hp 427 with aluminum heads. They only built 16 of them...even less than the 20 L88 engines built. Yes, the L88 had aluminum heads, but it did not get chrome covers like the L71/L89 did. C'mon guys...the L88 was a race car.

We had a saying, back in the day... "If it don't go, chrome it".

Too much detail? LOL.
It's fascinating. You have a wealth of information.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@67HEAVEN, you are a true C2 Corvette lover. I have a vast knowledge of a lot of things, but when you know that much about a C2 for example, it shown a grate passion for a Corvette. I am, a classic muscle car fanatic, by all means. I have always had the passion for a fine car or truck. Mom has said many times, that when we would pass by our local scrap and salvage yard, I would go ape. It because of all of the cars and trucks they had stacked up. Mom said I have been like that since I was a baby, 2 or 3 years old. It is one of the reasons why I love going to the car shows with my truck. It gets a lot of attention and has even won a 3ed place trophy a few months ago. Here are a few pics. Mom sitting on a C6, and I know She was thing about me when She took the pic. RIP Mom.

Attachments

• 20211026_122313.jpg
    20211026_122313.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211026_122322.jpg
    20211026_122322.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3700(1).jpg
    IMG_3700(1).jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 4