Fog & Driving Light Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I found some nice projector fogs. They are from TheRetrofitSource.com which sells really high quality stuff from what I've seen.

Here is the kit
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=243 They are supposed to be for retrofit into an existing housing or for use standalone. They are ~2.5" in diameter so I'm thinking I could probably just drill a hole in the valance and come up with some sort of custom bracket to mount them in the right place.

They also sell the projectors without bulbs and/or ballasts. I Think I'd go this route and then put some DDM bulbs and ballasts in them. I know that the ballasts that morimoto sells are better but these are for some fogs and I don't think it's worth it for this type of project.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=249

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not get some lights that fit and covert them to HID? You can convert your headlights to projectors but you will have to cut them up.
OR g oto the junkyard or CL to find a diesel bumper

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not get some lights that fit and covert them to HID? You can convert your headlights to projectors but you will have to cut them up.
OR g oto the junkyard or CL to find a diesel bumper

Lights that fit where? I don't have any location to fit a light. That's why I was thinking of modifying a valance in the style of the OEM fog valance.

I would LOVE to convert my headlights to projectors but I don't have the money for it at the time. If/when I do it will happen.

Even from the junk yard a diesel bumper is going to cost me about $80-$100 and that's if I can find one that is in acceptable condition. I would still have to purchase lights (and then maybe HIDs) on top of the diesel. Plus I still haven't decided if I really like the look of the diesel bumper with lights in it yet. I don't know if it fits the look of my truck...

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WEll then why not find or get a valence that has cut outs for fogs then take a cutting wheel and make some nice holes for your tow hooks?

its just plastic and easily cut and shaped

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WEll then why not find or get a valence that has cut outs for fogs then take a cutting wheel and make some nice holes for your tow hooks?

its just plastic and easily cut and shaped

I'd do that but those valances are hard to find. That's why I was thinking it might be easier to do it the other way. I could get a valance with tow hooks cheap and then make the cut outs for fogs. I'd also not be limited to stock shaped fogs (such as if I went with something circular like I posted above).

I'd love something projector but it's probably more expensive than I want to spend for the time being. I'd actually really love to have a good light that was fog/driving combo.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions on what lights to put in.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WEll I am looking at pro comp 6x9 to convert to HID's, but Hella makes some good fogs and so does KC, or Blazer

katkatcher#1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive got 2 sets of the 6in round low profile hella 500 driving lights that have the 55w bulbs new in box with wire and switch. if you decide that you wanna run them.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have those exact Blazer projector fog lights that are on theretrofitsource.com, mounted under my back bumper for a aux reverse lights! They have very good light output, I can see a good distance with my reverse lights on!

Last edited:

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Why not get some lights that fit and covert them to HID?

PNP Kits throw of a lot of glare, blinding oncoming drivers.
Projectors concentrate light on the foreground and out.
You must be registered for see images attach

I have a PNP kit in my Silverado & factory 4700K projectors in my Acura TL- and when I get in the chev. after driving the car I'm unsatisfied big time.

I'll be retrofitting some projectors in my headlights soon ;)

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

By hezsus at 2011-11-10

4x100W halogen spotlights, paid 50$ for all 4, and they are brighter than my headlights, Also have some 30w ones out back for reversing.. they are 1000x better than stock but need to be brighter yet.