Fml

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Alright, I blew up my 305 so I pulled a 350 from a van
, had it bored, put it back together, and realized I mismatched every bearing cap rods and mains, what's the cheapest route to get them back in order I tried using an inner/outer diameter caliper but its tedious work and still inaccurate help pleases

Reaction score
yea i know but im gonna be mixing and matching forever to get it right not to mention i hadnt planned on removing the top end at all, i got the crank in and out without taking the heads off but now that doesnt make much sense

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why take a chance? Just take the block & the caps to a machine shop & have them measure them for you. They deal with this kind of stuff all the time. They will install the mains, torque them, & then measure. Then do it again untill it is right. You know which ones are the front & rear. Most of the time these guys can tell you which one is for the thrust bearing just by looking at it. That only leaves two to figure out.

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
A line bore is for getting the circle back in the crankshaft bearing arcs and caps, most often when people can't reuse their bearing caps in exactly the same places. While typically the heads come off anyway for ease of handling, it's not for boring out the cylinders which yes require the heads to be off.