Flywheel bolt hitting flywheel cover all of a sudden. HELP.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmeargle

Reaction score
I have a 96 sierra but my current transmission is out of a 99 suburban. I've been through a few transmission now and I've never had this happen. Tranny came from a salvage yard. Runs really well but all of a sudden this faint ticking came and couldn't figure it out. Well evolved in a loud ticking sound. Come to find out there's one flywheel bolt hitting the back of the flywheel cover. Tighted the bolt down and it's still hitting. Not only is hitting but the starter isn't making contact every time I turn the ignition over. Starter is maybe a month old now. The hitting of the flywheel bolt can only be heard at low rpms. So could the flywheel be cracked? Could it be warped? Any suggestions or anything would be helpful and very appreciated

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You mean one of the torque converter bolts right..... the fly wheel is held in by bolts in the center of it like this....
You must be registered for see images

This is a pic of a rear main seal I did a bit back..before I took the flywheel off..if your flywheel bolts are hitting any cover then the had to have fallen out....but if the outer bolts (torque converter bolts) are hitting then yes the flywheel can be cracked and or warped

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just make sure to catch it before this happens......lol..... yes this came into my shop too...was hoping just the torque converter bolts broke but nope...broke the center right off the flywheel...lol.
You must be registered for see images

cmeargle

Reaction score
Woah yea I don't need that happening! Thanks for correcting me, I should have known. But what could caused it to happen all of a sudden the way it did? Just finally gave? Also it kind of stalls/jerks a little around 40-45 right when it shifts.. This is my 4th tranny in this truck in about 2 years. Other did the same the eventually went out. Not all were out of salvage yards. Had one completely rebuilt at a professional shop.