Fluids and filtration discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone else? I'm changing trans fluid over to synthetic and want to change the filter as well but I need to have it flushed to exchange the fluid in the torque converter as well. Should I buy a case of trans fluid, change the filter, top off and bring the rest to the shop to have the flush performed?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just change the fluid twice, change the filter the 1st time and drive it a few miles until it warms up, then change the fluid again. That's what I do and it gets most of the old fluid out pretty effectively. When I first went to synthetic ATF it took 3 times before it came out clean. Significantly easier and faster if you have a drain plug in the pan :waytogo: Or you could take it to a shop and pay them a bunch of money to flush it....

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which synthetic fluid will you be using?

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just change the fluid twice, change the filter the 1st time and drive it a few miles until it warms up, then change the fluid again. That's what I do and it gets most of the old fluid out pretty effectively. When I first went to synthetic ATF it took 3 times before it came out clean. Significantly easier and faster if you have a drain plug in the pan :waytogo: Or you could take it to a shop and pay them a bunch of money to flush it....
That's my thinking. I have a new gasket so I'll Prolly drop the pan top it off and use the old gasket then drop it Al change the filter and gasket and refill.
Which synthetic fluid will you be using?

Most likely Valvoline synthetic. Dex6

mistaake

Reaction score
Engine Oil: "Olympus Motor Oil 10W-30 Syntheric Blend" (that's what the receipt from the shop says)

Oil Filter: I think they used a Napa filter.

Transmission Fluid+Filter: No idea... it's probably original

Front/ Rear Diffs: No idea... it's probably original

Coolant: Green stuff, don't know how old it is though. No Dexcool in any 350 (or any other pre-99 chevy engine) for me. Would have no concerns about running Dexcool in 99+ trucks though.

Gasoline: Whatever I can get cheapest... usually Gas&Shop, Costco, or Safeway.

Discussion Topic: I will do coolant flush, transmission service, and differentials soon.

jhicks

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Engine oil: Rotella T 15w40 with a wix filter

Coolant: Dexcool

Trans filter/fluid: the original with lucas trans additive (160k miles :nono: )

Gas: whatever

Rear diff: Synthetic mopar ( its free)

Im in dire need of a brake fluid flush. i live in fear that my trans will die if do a filter/ fluid service thanks to past experiences.