Log splitter squirting fluid.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I hope this is legal in the garage. I've been using the splitter all winter and haven't added any fluid. Today's almost °70 and I split up a good bit, but on the last piece it started pissing out of the vent. Could it have been over filled and when the fluid got hot it expanded? It's atf so that doesn't seem right.

Attachments

• 20240305_142152.jpg
    20240305_142152.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240305_142058.jpg
    20240305_142058.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 6

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How full was it when you started? Did you leave space in the reservoir for heat expansion? You don't run hydraulic fluid?
Your nonstop working with no cooling features, of course the pumping, and working, friction , it's going to get hot,. With heat all fluids have expansion.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea, Power steering fluid probably isnt the best option unless the manufaturer specified that. I would play around with actual hydraulic AW fluids. The higher the AW number (stands for Anti-Wear additive package) the higher the viscosity. AW100 for example is good for skid steers in the Texas summer running hydraulically powered brush cutters for hours on end. (high load, continuous pumping, hot temps, worst case). While AW32 is good for tractors running a loader for snow removal (low circulation, low temp, light periodic load). Start with somewhat heavy like AW68 and lower the number if it runs too slow in the winter.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys the owners manual called for atf. I didn't check the level as it doesn't leak. I had checked it a few uses before and thought I had a couple of inches of head space. I've not used it on such a warm day after having the motor mount welded back on. Vibration had it's way and it broke off. I used rubber isolators this time. I think this machine is about 20 years old, it's on its second motor and pump. It's sure paid for itself.

Last edited: