Flex and Articulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-Z71

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I've been looking at this site quite a bit in the past few months, reading everyones builds and seeing the cool things people are doing to there trucks. Due to that, this seemed like a good site to get information from. One thing I haven't noticed is any posts or builds reguarding wheel articulation (think jeep flex). Im wondering how I could possibly modify/purchase front fenders that would allow the tires of the truck to tuck into the fender while flexing. Obviously I came from driving a wrangler and loved it however I prefer having a truck bed for when I need it and more power. If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, threads dealing with this, etc. please share. Opinions are welcomed as well!

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

Being that your Wrangler had a front solid axle, you won't be able to expect the same articulation and flex from the Independent front suspension your truck has now. The only aftermarket fenders for these trucks that i know of would be "prerunner" fenders, which IMO are kinda hard to pull off the look with.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Do like me and run big tires on the stock wheels so they will "tuck" These trucks don't like a lot of offset on the wheels. Makes them rub on everything.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Your not gona have to worry about the front fenders I promise

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
If you're on stock wheels you won't be able to truck anymore with different outer fenders. You will clear the outers easily and you'll hit the bump stops long before you but the inner fenders.

IFS doesn't suck at flexing, but GM torsion bar IFS does. Most people get around this by running a leaf sprung solid axle. What you had on your wrangler would be a triangulated 4 link solid axle.

-via Mobile

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
I've seen people cut away their fenders, then bolt up some bushwhacker cut out flares to achieve what you are talking about. But like Horns mentioned, you'll hit the bump stops before your tire starts biting fender

96-Z71

Reaction score
Thanks y'all. I knew I wasnt going to get the flex my wrangler had due to the ifs I was more worried about the tire possibly biting the fender. I would love to sas my truck and get more flex, if only funds permitted haha.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I've seen people cut away their fenders, then bolt up some bushwhacker cut out flares to achieve what you are talking about. But like Horns mentioned, you'll hit the bump stops before your tire starts biting fender
:word: If you've got wide wheels, cut out flares or pre runner fenders are you options.

-via Mobile