Fixed stiff throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I finally fixed my stiff throttle after much searching for a solution. I had no luck finding a real solution to fix the issue. Some said it was the cable, not my problem. Others said a swollen tbi gasket, not the problem and others said bad tbi bushings, also not my problem.

After much thought and looking Over the throttle body, I noticed a spring on both sides of the tbi. I decided to remove the one on the passenger side. Big difference, the throttle still snaps back no problem and is much easier to push down. The pedal resistance is about half now.

I also sprayed some white lithium grease in the butterfly shaft that goes though the tbi. Works like a charm.

Thought I should let others know this trick that are experienceing the same problem.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Dual springs are a safety feature to close the throttle in case one breaks. Usually two springs, one inside the other.

Just saying.....:)

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Understandable. If one breaks no big deal, I'll just clutch it and replace spring with the one I took out. There is only one spring on each side of mine. Also the TPS has a spring in it too so that helps close the tbi too.

Thanks for your concern