Stiff throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Local tranny shop told me they don't know. They don't build tranny's there anymore just R&R. They farm the rebuilds out.
He did say he'd call his builder and ask. Reckon I'd better buy a book on these too. I rebuilt the TH350 tranny that's in my elcamino and that tranny works reeeeal good.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Local tranny shop told me they don't know. They don't build tranny's there anymore just R&R. They farm the rebuilds out.
He did say he'd call his builder and ask. Reckon I'd better buy a book on these too. I rebuilt the TH350 tranny that's in my elcamino and that tranny works reeeeal good.
If they aren't building in-house then they're not a transmission shop. They're just a shop. Someone oughta tell 'em. :)

Richard

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In a different thread there's an interesting discussion surrounding a fellow 4L60-E
owner trying to resolve a 'vicious 1-2 shift' issue. One of the guys just replied that his
transmission shop troubleshot it to an egg-shaped bore, and fixed it with the
slightly oversize throttle valve assembly:

This whole throttle valve subsystem in the 4L60-E looks to be an area where a
lot of concentrated voodoo is located, and can either make or break the driving
experience. No doubt that the original designers felt that the new throttle valve/cable
setup was the best solution to the problem at hand...but for me the old vacuum
modulator on the Turbo 400 just seemed to work flawlessly without any value
added by yours truly. :0)

Good luck getting that hard pedal issue sorted out without harming the existing
good behavior that the tranny is otherwise delivering. It's possible...just got to
get the exact right 700R4 whisperer involved, either as mentor (and you implement
the fix) or as a hired gun w/the help of few Benjamins. :0)

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a different thread there's an interesting discussion surrounding a fellow 4L60-E
owner trying to resolve a 'vicious 1-2 shift' issue. One of the guys just replied that his
transmission shop troubleshot it to an egg-shaped bore, and fixed it with the
slightly oversize throttle valve assembly:

This whole throttle valve subsystem in the 4L60-E looks to be an area where a
lot of concentrated voodoo is located, and can either make or break the driving
experience. No doubt that the original designers felt that the new throttle valve/cable
setup was the best solution to the problem at hand...but for me the old vacuum
modulator on the Turbo 400 just seemed to work flawlessly without any value
added by yours truly. :0)

Good luck getting that hard pedal issue sorted out without harming the existing
good behavior that the tranny is otherwise delivering. It's possible...just got to
get the exact right 700R4 whisperer involved.
Mine is the pre-electronic tranny but in my research the valve bodies are similar.
Yeah, I like the old vacuum modulators too. You could reach up in the vacuum port with a small screwdriver and raise or lower part throttle shift points pretty easily. The cable was only there to get gone right now!