First real test drive today, after V8 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the alignment was that far off...

Yes it was, horribly. So much so that I had a hard time going in a straight line and could hear the left front tire barking at me.

And...CONGRATULATIONS on getting to the "first test drive" point.

Thanks.

You'll want to whack the throttle open as far as you can WITHOUT DOWNSHIFTING from OD or at least 3rd gear. The perfect application would be overdrive + torque converter clutch engaged; but I don't think that's realistic without playing games with the transmission. Point is, you want to be in the highest gear practical--not first gear, not second gear. Accelerate to as fast as you feel safe--which might be the speed limit. Pull your foot off the gas, coast to your starting speed, and do it again...and again...until it stops being fun.

HUH?? It sounds like you're saying start off in 3rd gear, go as fast as I comfortably can, then just left off the gas, in gear the whole time. That's impossible. I cannot take off from a dead stop in 3rd gear. Could you elaborate on this?

Yes, the oil pressure is troubling.

You're telling me! I had the truck parked for a bit while I waited for a ride back from the inspection station to become available. In those few hours, the engine cooled a bit and the oil pressure gauge, upon startup, went to dead center. By the time I got to the inspection station, it was tickling 10 psi again. When I get the truck back (whether it passes or not), I have a separate oil pressure tester I can throw on there quick and run around the block a few times. I'm curious what it will say.

That's it for now. I likely won't get a phone call until Monday. In that time, I have many, many other projects that need my attention and not all of them are automotive.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's saying get into a higher gear 3rd or 4th then floor it so it doesnt rev to fast, you want high cylinder pressure at peak torque RPM for a few seconds. But not to over-rev at WOT.
Essentially, yes.

Rings need cylinder pressure, not RPM to seat properly. Based on typical "car/light truck" engines, anything over 3500--4000 rpm is wasted. So there's no reason to allow the trans to kick-down to a lower gear if it can be avoided.

I want the throttle open as much as possible while keeping the trans in 3rd (direct drive) or 4th (overdrive) or whatever the equivalent is in the 6, 8, or 10 speed transmissions the newer vehicles come with, yet keeping the vehicle speed "safe" which includes "safe from the Traffic Taxation Officers".

And once an appropriately-high speed has been attained, coast down to whatever your starting speed was--35 mph, maybe--which produces high manifold vacuum which brings oil up the cylinder walls to wash away the wear particles.

Then whack the throttle open again. Coast. Repeat multiple times.

A person can often "feel" improved acceleration the first time or two that this is done, based on improved ring seal and a more-efficient, more-powerful engine.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Many years ago, 98-99ish, in my 91, I came to a stop light and saw a light como on, it was the check gauge light. I saw I had zero oil pressure. Oh crap!!! I revved it and the pressure came back up. Figured I have to get it into town and off the highway so I just kept going, the pressure stayed normal while driving, but zeroed at idle or stopped in gear. Went to work, about 5min away, didn't overheat or sound weird. So after work went to the parts store, got a sender, changed it and all was/still is good.
That's how the sending unit did, when it went out on the Burb a couple years ago. Not a thing you want to see, on a truck with over 200K on a 350 that already doesn't have strong oil pressure....

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's how the sending unit did, when it went out on the Burb a couple years ago. Not a thing you want to see, on a truck with over 200K on a 350 that already doesn't have strong oil pressure....
Ya....I was clenching my cheeks for a bit that's for sure!!! Lol
I was about 200k kms when it happened.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He's saying get into a higher gear 3rd or 4th then floor it so it doesnt rev to fast, you want high cylinder pressure at peak torque RPM for a few seconds. But not to over-rev at WOT.

I can do that. It's going to have to be done on the interstate. There is NO road around here where traffic will allow antics like that in 3rd gear without having some a$$hat ride the brakes in front of me.

The way I understand it, the emissions/safety inspection station is also doing the alignment...and the truck is already there.

Yes, that's correct.