First Project Truck!! 1998 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, update. It runs!! And for the first time in a couple of years, it's plated and insured. I've actually driven it to around the neighborhood a couple of times, and even over to college once (around 80 miles round trip). On the second attempt, though, disaster struck..

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last Wednesday, on my second trip over to the University of Akron, disaster struck. I was cruising at around 65mph in the middle of a 6-lane highway when I heard a BANG...BANG-BANG-BANG! I shot over to the side of the road as quickly as I could. Recently they widened this section of highway from two lanes to three by eliminating the breakdown lane. As a result, I now found my self inches off the highway and half in the ditch. I climbed out the passengers side of the truck and glanced under it, where I was greeted by the sight of the transfer case spewing fluid. The truck wouldn't move, either. I was stuck. I couldn't even walk myself off the highway, as there were no exits anywhere close, and the rock wall pretty well prevented climbing out of the way. To make matters worse, I couldn't get ahold of a towing company to come drag my truck off the road! I ended up calling my grandfather to come flat tow me off the interstate, though I still ended up waiting under an overpass behind a guard rail for the better part of an hour.

We ended up towing it to some ghetto community center, where they said I could leave the truck but not to leave any valuables (great place, huh?). There was a lot more that happened before I was able to get the truck home, but suffice it to say that was not my day..

OH, and the best part? When we got it home, I crawled under it and discovered the rear driveshaft was missing, as was the u-joint at the rear axle. Near as we could tell, either the u-joint failed--or was improperly installed--and came apart at speed, taking the driveshaft out and cracking the tail-housing on the transfer case. So, now I'm into it for those parts too. With college tho, cash it tight and time is severely limited, so no telling how fast the rebuild will be.

At any rate, here's a picture of it sitting forlornly on the side of the road. Having dumped a months worth of wages, a summers worth of work, and a lifetime of dreams into this truck, I was crushed at this sight.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Look at it as a learning experience, you are gaining valuable knowledge, trust.

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Current build status: Trailer'd

Note: This truck^^^, did NOT pull that truck^^^...

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, pics from the engine swap that never got posted.
Engine removed.

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
And after the engine swap, after the truck moved under it's own power!!

The cardboard was to check for fuel leaks, as a fuel line fitting got cross threaded during re-assembly, necessitating a redo of the return fuel lines all the way back to the tank.

JakeZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at it as a learning experience, you are gaining valuable knowledge, trust.
Thanks, Jrgunn5150. That's the best way to look at it. The problem is, now i'm gun shy, lol. You can bet that goofy truck will be getting a thorough shake down before it even hit's 60mph again, though!!

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Thanks, Jrgunn5150. That's the best way to look at it. The problem is, now i'm gun shy, lol. You can bet that goofy truck will be getting a thorough shake down before it even hit's 60mph again, though!!

My own truck, that was supposed ot be a reliable driver, tune up and drive it, is in th eshop getting a 1300 transmission rebuild, and I already put about 800 in it, and it still doesn't have that tune up lol.

It's depressing, but I'm too stubborn to just punt it.

joshman

Reaction score
wow, so brutal. sorry man.

you should make a gofundme page & raise funds to get her back on the road! i'd pitch in.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
wow, so brutal. sorry man.

you should make a gofundme page & raise funds to get her back on the road! i'd pitch in.

I got a new transmission put in the other day, it hurt the budget lol. But she's on the road for now.